Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Switch to Knoppix OS in ISO via an active Linux OS in Runlevel5 and GUI

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mysore, India
    Posts
    275

    Switch to Knoppix OS in ISO via an active Linux OS in Runlevel5 and GUI

    Suppose I have Debian running in my system, and have a knoppix iso at the root of a partition.

    Now, say I mount the Knoppix iso via loopback.

    Then is it possible for me to switch over to knoppix from that Debian system by chroot and run knoppix normally, from runlevel1 to entering Runlevel5 and GDE or KDE?

    I know it is possible, because that's what Knoppix does when the BIOS hands over the controls to the Bootloader, but I can't find posts specifically on the issue. There may be - and I believe there are - but my search using the key words like "switch loopback iso chroot boot knoppix" does not yield encouraging results.

    Could any of you, who is aware of such a post, direct me to that link please?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mysore, India
    Posts
    275
    Since I can't edit my earlier post I am adding information in a new post. These were the steps I had experimented with prior to posting the present query.

    I have read the link: http://smtp.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto

    Now say I have the essential directories (boot and KNOPPIX) from the KNOPPIX live DVD in the drive /dev/sda2

    The geniso command creates the KNOPPIX image. I am aware that the following line creates the iso

    The knoppix image within the knoppix directory has to be booted. How to boot
    genisoimage -input-charset ISO-8859-15 -R -l -D -V KNOPPIX_FS -quiet \
    -no-split-symlink-components -no-split-symlink-fields \
    -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes $PFAD/knx/source/KNOPPIX \
    | /usr/sbin/create_compressed_fs -q -B 65536 -t 8 -L 9 \
    -f $PFAD/knx/isotemp - $PFAD/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
    How can I boot from this image?
    I have used the code
    mount -t iso8859 -o loop /media/c5188c78-d9a3-431f-930d-aa29233c2b19/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX /media/cdrom0
    but this has failed to mount the image.

    Says:
    mount: unknown filesystem type 'iso8859'
    mount: maybe you meant 'iso9660'?
    Last edited by rajibando; 08-10-2013 at 04:10 AM.

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    The geniso command creates the KNOPPIX image. I am aware that the following line creates the iso ..
    No, this only creates the compressed Knoppix filesystem "KNOPPIX". To look within this compressed filesystem and to mount it, you need the Kernel modul "cloop".

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mysore, India
    Posts
    275

    Re: Switch to Knoppix OS in ISO via an active Linux OS in Runlevel5 and GUI

    Thanks. I will eventually find the code. In Debian the module package is cloop-utils.

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    To compile the cloop module you need the sourcecode of cloop and also the module-assistant.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mysore, India
    Posts
    275

    Arrow Then which code?

    I have installed as advised:
    The output is:
    root@Squeeze:/home/user# module-assistant auto-install cloop

    Updated infos about 1 packages
    Getting source for kernel version: 2.6.32-5-686-bigmem
    Kernel headers available in /lib/modules/2.6.32-5-686-bigmem/build
    apt-get install build-essential
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    build-essential is already the newest version.
    build-essential set to manually installed.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 254 not upgraded.

    Done!
    unpack
    Extracting the package tarball, /usr/src/cloop.tar.bz2, please wait...
    Target package file
    /usr/src/cloop-module-2.6.32-5-686-bigmem_2.6.31.1.1+2.6.32-41squeeze2_i386.deb
    already exists, not rebuilding!
    (however, you could use the -f switch to ignore it)
    dpkg -Ei /usr/src/cloop-module-2.6.32-5-686-bigmem_2.6.31.1.1+2.6.32-41squeeze2_i386.deb
    Selecting previously deselected package cloop-module-2.6.32-5-686-bigmem.
    (Reading database ... 145794 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking cloop-module-2.6.32-5-686-bigmem (from .../cloop-module-2.6.32-5-686-bigmem_2.6.31.1.1+2.6.32-41squeeze2_i386.deb) ...
    Setting up cloop-module-2.6.32-5-686-bigmem (2.6.31.1.1+2.6.32-41squeeze2) ...
    root@Squeeze:/home/user#
    What is meant by this ( README.Debian in :
    configure the kernel with zlib functions, set the config
    variable CONFIG_ZLIB_INFLATE to y!
    I will now reboot...
    I have the following codes.
    insmod cloop.o file=/path/to/compressed/image
    losetup /dev/cloop1 /path/to/compressed/image
    mount -o ro -t whatever /dev/cloop /mnt/compressed
    mount cl /mnt/misc -oloop=/dev/cloop0
    Which codes do I use to access the KNOPPIX file and change my root directory to chroot and then boot from there. I will try insmod cloop.o file=/path/to/compressed/image replacing the actual path to the image.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mysore, India
    Posts
    275
    Did the automated installation via
    module-assistant auto-install cloop
    installed the following? :
    make KERNEL_DIR=/path/to/linux-kernel/sources
    (as root) mkdir -p /lib/modules/misc && cp cloop.o /lib/modules/misc/
    (as root) depmod -a
    (as root) mknod /dev/cloop b 240 0
    (as root) mknod /dev/cloop1 b 240 1
    I have tried the insmod code with the following result:
    root@Squeeze:/home/user# insmod cloop.o file=/path/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
    insmod: can't read 'cloop.o': No such file or directory
    Am I going wrong somewhere?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mysore, India
    Posts
    275

    Experimenting with some codes

    root@Squeeze:/home/user# module-assistant auto-install cloop

    Updated infos about 1 packages
    Getting source for kernel version: 2.6.32-5-686-bigmem
    Kernel headers available in /lib/modules/2.6.32-5-686-bigmem/build
    apt-get install build-essential
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    build-essential is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 254 not upgraded.

    Done!
    unpack
    Extracting the package tarball, /usr/src/cloop.tar.bz2, please wait...
    Target package file
    /usr/src/cloop-module-2.6.32-5-686-bigmem_2.6.31.1.1+2.6.32-41squeeze2_i386.deb
    already exists, not rebuilding!
    (however, you could use the -f switch to ignore it)
    dpkg -Ei /usr/src/cloop-module-2.6.32-5-686-bigmem_2.6.31.1.1+2.6.32-41squeeze2_i386.deb
    Version 2.6.31.1.1+2.6.32-41squeeze2 of cloop-module-2.6.32-5-686-bigmem already installed, skipping.
    root@Squeeze:/home/user# depmod -a
    root@Squeeze:/home/user# mknod /dev/cloop b 240 0
    root@Squeeze:/home/user# mknod /dev/cloop1 b 240 1
    root@Squeeze:/home/user# mkdir -p /lib/modules/misc && cp cloop.o /lib/modules/misc/
    cp: cannot stat `cloop.o': No such file or directory
    Then I successively tried with the following three options:
    root@Squeeze:/home/user# make KERNEL_DIR=/usr/src/
    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
    root@Squeeze:/home/user# make KERNEL_DIR=/usr/src/modules/cloop
    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
    root@Squeeze:/home/user# make KERNEL_DIR=/usr/src/cloop-module-2.6.32-5-686-bigmem_2.6.31.1.1+2.6.32-41squeeze2_i386.deb
    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
    Last edited by rajibando; 08-14-2013 at 11:40 AM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Version 2.6.31.1.1+2.6.32-41squeeze2 of cloop-module-2.6.32-5-686-bigmem already installed, skipping.
    I think you have already installed the cloop kernel module. What happens if you issue as root
    Code:
    modprobe cloop
    lsmod

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mysore, India
    Posts
    275

    Outputs...

    Version 2.6.31.1.1+2.6.32-41squeeze2 of cloop-module-2.6.32-5-686-bigmem already installed, skipping.
    Yes I was aware of that actually, I ran the code once again just to generate the output which I could post.
    root@Squeeze:/home/user# lsmod
    Module Size Used by
    cloop 11538 0

    and modprobe cloop does not give any output.
    Last edited by rajibando; 08-15-2013 at 02:39 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99