Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix 7.2 Poorman's Install boot failure

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    8

    Knoppix 7.2 Poorman's Install boot failure

    I read the two wiki articles on HD install. The older seems to be somewhat dated, while the newer does not have much detail. So, I improvised. Clearly, I am still doing something wrong. Pointers would be appreciated.

    I found that the /tohd=/dev/sda1 cheat code did not populate the C:/KNOPPIX directory on a USB live boot.

    I then manually copied the linux (4.3 MB) and minirt.gz (930.8 KB) files to the C:/KNOPPIX directory, along with the background.jpg, knoppix-cheatcodes.txt, both logo files, and index_en.html.

    Next, I booted Crunchbang (Debian Wheezy) and prepared a 40_custom file in /etc/grub.d. Contents --
    Code:
    menuentry "Knoppix 7.2" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linux /KNOPPIX/linux no3d nostartsound tz=America/New_York
    initrd /KNOPPIX/minirt.gz
    }
    I then did "update-grub" and rebooted. I selected the Knoppix line in the grub menu and got lots of boot message lines followed by --
    Code:
    Searching for Knoppix 7.2
    Waiting (USB)...
    Could not mount disk to /mnt-system.  Starting debugging shell.
    Note that I used "/KNOPPIX" rather than "(KNOPPIX" on the minirt.gz line, which differs from the wiki. I believe that the wiki is wrong -- http://knoppix.net/wiki/Category:Har...e_Installation
    Code:
    menuentry "Knoppix" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linux /KNOPPIX/linux (.. other boot-parameter ..)
    initrd (KNOPPIX/minirt.gz
    }

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    8

    Solved by directly booting Knoppix .iso file

    The reason that the tohd cheatcode did not populate the directory was that I forgot that hda1 was invalid on the target machine and that sda1 was required. Regardless, I could not sort out how to get Grub2 to start a Poorman's install.

    However, Grub2 can boot directly from an .iso file. So, I set up an /Iso/Knoppix directory in the root of my Windows XP C: drive -- NTFS formatted. I copied the Knoppix CD .iso file to the /Iso/Knoppix directory.

    I then used my Crunchbang Debian Wheezy to configure Grub2. I updated the /etc/grub.d/40_custom file --
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    exec tail -n +3 $0
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    #
    #
    menuentry "Knoppix 7.2 CD ISO" {
    set iso_path="/Iso/Knoppix/KNOPPIX_V7.2.0CD-2013-06-16-EN.iso"
    loopback loop (hd0,msdos1)$iso_path
    echo "Loading linux"
    linux (loop)/boot/isolinux/linux bootfrom=/dev/sda1$iso_path no3d nostartsound lang=us tz=America/New_York
    echo "Loading minirt"
    initrd (loop)/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
    }
    After running the "update-grub" coomand, rebooting, selecting Knoppix in the Grub2 menu, I was in Knoppix.

    Tip: There is some excellent documentation in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/ISOBoot

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Thank you for the two postings and the pointing to my errors within this HowTo
    http://knoppix.net/wiki/Category:Har...e_Installation

    I've worked over "Poor man's install" and inserted "ISO install to HD"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant DL360 Gen 11 - Xeon Gold 5th Gen - 192 GB DDR5 ECC - 2x 240 GB SSD picture

HP ProLiant DL360 Gen 11 - Xeon Gold 5th Gen - 192 GB DDR5 ECC - 2x 240 GB SSD

$17000.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



SUN MICROSYSTEMS ORACLE  SPARC T8-2: 2 x 5.0/ 1TB/ 2 x 1.2TB-REF/TESTED/90 DAYS picture

SUN MICROSYSTEMS ORACLE SPARC T8-2: 2 x 5.0/ 1TB/ 2 x 1.2TB-REF/TESTED/90 DAYS

$39999.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections

$60.00



Windows Server 2025 Standard✔ 24-CORE✔ 10 CALs✔ 50 RDS✔ Remote Desktop EP2-25205 picture

Windows Server 2025 Standard✔ 24-CORE✔ 10 CALs✔ 50 RDS✔ Remote Desktop EP2-25205

$317.56