-
Senior Member
registered user
Interesting approach; I do similar but different things to achieve much the same end.
1. I use 32-bit Knoppix CD to define a minimal Knoppix LiveUSB with reiserfs persistence.
2. I add programs I like that aren't in the initial LiveUSB such as M$-ttf-corefonts,
flashplugin-nonfree, geany & chromium, and a few special files of my own and then
convert all this additional stuff into a KNOPPIX1 overlay.
3. Then I renew the persistence file by reformatting with gparted.
Among the special files in item 2 is a small file which automates part of the new-overlay
process.
My 2Gb SanDisk LiveUSB has a 1.14 GB Fat32 partition with 356 Mb currently free and
a 718 Mb reiser partition with 603 Mb currently free. Much of the 'new' reiser material is
'new' cache information which I ignore in making overlays.
If-and-when I develop any significant new stuff in persistence, I will make a second overlay,
then a third, etc. But so far, I expect I may not need any new overlays if Klaus K makes
his own upgrade sometime later this year.
I see very little necessity in re-mastering, so long as most of my changes are additive and
not overlapping previous overlay material in some way.
It is also true that the CD-size Knoppix almost fulfills my needs. The DVD-size Knoppix
has many programs I'd never use.
In your scheme, I think so long as you carefully choose which overlays go in
/mnt-system/KNOPPIX/, you may pick and choose just which ones will be overlaid.
You can hide any others in /mnt-system/ (or someplace else) and they'll not be acted upon.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s
$55.00

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$339.00

Seagate 2.5" Barracuda 1TB SATA III 6Gbps HDD 2F110A-500
$19.99

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59