Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix 7.2 takes too long to boot from .ISO in USB flash disk with Grub4dos

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix 7.2 takes too long to boot from .ISO in USB flash disk with Grub4dos

    Hi.
    I'm a happy Knoppix newbie, but I think that the boot time can be improved.
    I boot Knoppix from its .ISO image file in a folder of an USB flash disk with Grub4dos.
    This is the Knoppix entry in menu.lst:

    title Knoppix 7.2 Lnx 32b (fom ISO)
    find --set-root /iso/ADRIANE-KNOPPIX_V7.2.0CD-2013-06-16-EN.iso
    map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 /iso/ADRIANE-KNOPPIX_V7.2.0CD-2013-06-16-EN.iso (0xff)
    map --hook
    root (0xff)
    kernel /boot/isolinux/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off nodma vga=normal nomce lang=es keyboard=es xkeyboard=es BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix bootfrom=/.//iso/ADRIANE-KNOPPIX_V7.2.0CD-2013-06-16-EN.iso noprompt
    initrd /boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
    boot

    Knoppix boots well, and it does it faster than Windows, but, while booting, it stops for several seconds sarching for Knoppix filesystem, showing this message:
    "Cannot find Knoppix dir in ISO file /.//iso/ADRIANE-KNOPPIX_V7.2.0CD-2013-06-16-EN.iso"
    It obviously refers to the bootfrom= param in the kernel line.
    It tries several times all the drives and partitions until it finally boots saying something like: found ISO in /dev/sdb1/mnt-iso/iso/ADRIANE-KNOPPIX_...
    After adding the param nodma to the kernel line, it booted fine the first time, bot not always does it.
    If I just change the bootfrom= param to /iso/ADRIANE-KNOPPIX_... (instead of /.//iso/ADRIANE-KNOPPIX_...), it gets worse.
    I hope this issue can be improved soon.
    Best regards.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    bootfrom=/.//iso/ADRIANE-KNOPPIX_....

    This cannot work. Did you try

    bootfrom=/dev/sdb1/mnt-iso/iso/ADRIANE-KNOPPIX_...

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    bootfrom=/.//iso/ADRIANE-KNOPPIX_.... This cannot work. Did you try bootfrom=/dev/sdb1/mnt-iso/iso/ADRIANE-KNOPPIX_...
    Thank you, Werner, but I not always boot from sdb1. The line that I posted works fine, but I want to share with you all what I found out. The speed of the search for the iso is notably increased (and thus the boot time is greatly decreased) if I press the [CONTROL] key when it is performed. I don't know whay, but it works for me. So, this is an important update about this issue. Best regards.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI picture

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI

$289.99



GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99