Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Epia 10000 Nehmiah

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kamloops BC Canada
    Posts
    7

    Epia 10000 Nehmiah

    Hey all, first post (woo woo) luv Knoppix....

    I have an Epia 10000 that I'm about to do some mod work with, and was wondering if the latest (June 06/2003) has any issues with these new boards.

    I wanted to mount the entire system into a very cool aluminum box i got with the complete everquest set today, with a DWL 520+ dlink wireless card.

    If you have Knoppix running on any of the epias, I'd appreciate a short post letting me know what if any problems you had getting up and running.

    I kinda sorta know my way around Unix, but its been awhile and i'm a little rusty.

    cheers,
    One

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Onetrack,

    Can't be of any help since I don't have one of these boards, but I would be interested to hear how it works out.


    Adam

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kamloops BC Canada
    Posts
    7

    Epia has arrived

    Well actually I'm online atm with my Epia 10000m (eztra-T based)

    Its working =-SLICK=-

    playing frozen bubble with full audio

    Also I'm working on putting the board into an Everquest biscuit tin I got it with the platinum everquest set. so far I'm really pleased with the speed and the compatibility of Knoppix on the epia platform.. this is excellent.

    Cheers,
    One

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Hi Onetrack

    Well, now I guess my Epia 9000 is out of date.

    I had a good adventure getting the sound to work
    but KNOPPIX is terriffic and the alsa cheat code
    will get the sound going. This will save you some time.

    To fine tune it to get rid of static and noise check out
    this link for settings:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2831

    Happy Knoppixing
    paradoc

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Onetrack,

    These boards really look nice. I hear you don't even need a fan so they would be a perfect choice to build a multimedia box. What is the price range on these things?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Hmm. Found one for $155. Not a bad deal considerint the processor is included.

    http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...286116e09f96b8

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Hi All

    The small ITX board size for the VIA is great.
    Some are fanless but others take a small
    processor fan and a very quiet case fan -- but
    this is much quieter than a standard box. The energy
    use is very low -- somethng like a laptop I think. I
    have a external transformer to 12 volts and a small
    fanless internal board to give the voltages.

    My 500MB memory was about $80 US.

    KNOPPIX works well with all the onboard devices
    as far as I know.

    Best Wishes
    paradocs

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    Sorry for all your enthousiasme but the USB ports give trouble for the epia
    motherboards on the latest knoppix release 06/06/2003.
    Origin of the problem is the VIA chipset.
    So if you're planning on constructing somthing with USB devices ,be warned.... .

    meaning :

    I think there is still a bug in the usb driver of the latest knoppix release. Meaning :

    I am creating a webcamserver (for several usb webcams ,using the motion soft) but I'm struggeling already for several weeks)
    Till upon now when I discovered the error :
    ov511.c: ERROR: urb->status=-75: Babble (bad cable?)

    I've found the answer on the net (http://alpha.dyndns.org/ov511/faq.html

    Q: My camera is detected properly, but I get errors about "endpoint stall", "babble", "error -75", or "error -110" when I try to use it.
    A: Do you have a VIA chipset? VIA USB controllers seem to have problems under Linux. You should report such problems to the usb-uhci or uhci driver maintainers. Also, make sure USB is enabled in your BIOS.

    My hardware config is the EPIA V8000 with OV511 based webcams.

    Since I think the USB stuff is a part of the kernel ,how can I oversome this problem ?
    Has anybody had a similar problem ?

    Greetings from Belgium,

    Koen

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    If have more info about it :

    http://lwn.net/Articles/9632/

    problem resides in kernel 2.4.20-xfs (present on knoppix 06/06/2003)

    should be solved with development kernel 2.5.36 (or 37) ,where they inserted some patches.
    I quote :
    'Kernel release status
    The current development kernel is 2.5.36, which was released by Linus on September 17. The big news was, of course, is the merge of the XFS journaling filesystem. There's also the x86 "huge page" patch, an IEEE-1394 ("Firewire") update, a big USB update (converting the code to the new driver model scheme), an IDE update, and various other fixes. See the long-format changelog for the details.
    '

    If anybody has a remastered knoppix with this development kernel 2.5.36 ,can you contact me ? thanks in advance...[/i]

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by ktheking
    Sorry for all your enthousiasme but the USB ports give trouble for the epia
    motherboards on the latest knoppix release 06/06/2003.
    Origin of the problem is the VIA chipset.
    So if you're planning on constructing somthing with USB devices ,be warned....
    I felt it well worth me making an update to the OPs comments as almost a year has passed, and things are very much better now.

    I got a couple of the fairly recent Epias here, an M10000 and a CL10000 both have Nehemiah core CPUs.

    I am just starting out with Linux so I'll not comment beyond saying it all seems to be fine under knoppix 3.3, however one of them is presently running winXP and I have to say that's doing about anything you could reasonably want any machine to do, and the USB issue appears to be a thing of the past now.

    I have witnessed VIA usb problems firsthand on another machine some time ago so I know what to look for too. Not seeing any of that sort of thing now on these two boards though.

    So I'll stick my neck out and give it a thumbs up on the two that I have, others may be able to add more info for other models too, now that some time has passed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Problem with Knoppix 3.7 after installation on EPIA
    By zakmen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 02:33 PM
  2. hwsetup hangs in a VIA EPIA M9000 box
    By fusero in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-05-2004, 05:54 PM
  3. VIA Epia supported? Plays DVD and XviD?
    By Pjotr in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 06:07 PM
  4. Display Problem with Via EPIA Mini-Itx 800
    By impresario in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-25-2003, 07:58 PM
  5. Videoproblems on EPIA Board
    By yoyo in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2003, 07:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$125.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$13.99



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



10G PCIe Ethernet Adapter AQC113 10GBase-T RJ45 NIC for Windows Linux NAS Server picture

10G PCIe Ethernet Adapter AQC113 10GBase-T RJ45 NIC for Windows Linux NAS Server

$57.99



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Maxed HP MicroServer Gen8 3.5GHz Xeon E3-1270 V2 16GB RAM 40TB RAID 1TB SSD NAS picture

Maxed HP MicroServer Gen8 3.5GHz Xeon E3-1270 V2 16GB RAM 40TB RAID 1TB SSD NAS

$1499.00



NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch picture

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch

$499.99



BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD picture

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD

$169.99



Multi-Boot Linux & Utility 18 in 1 USB – Best of 2026 Free Same-Day Shipping picture

Multi-Boot Linux & Utility 18 in 1 USB – Best of 2026 Free Same-Day Shipping

$22.99



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99