Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: mnt-system read-only?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4

    mnt-system read-only?

    Hallo,

    is there any way to boot Knoppix 7.20 with mnt-system read-only?
    I have configured my Knoppix with overlays and would like to use the system without write access to my usb-stick.


    Thank's Moritz

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, moritz.b.

    The purpose of Knoppix using a LiveUSB is usually to allow writing data
    to a persistence file somewhere on it.

    /mnt-system is usually on a fat32 partition with all your cloop-compacted
    overlays. Using a separate reiserfs partition for persistence makes it
    unnecessary to write anything to the fat32 system, unless you want to modify
    some /boot, /efi or reference material there.

    If you actually never want to record ANY changes, then a LiveCD or LiveDVD
    would seem a better and cheaper answer than restricting a LiveUSB to read-only.
    Last edited by utu; 09-02-2013 at 12:12 AM.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4

    Partition with /mnt-system read-only

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    Greetings, moritz.b.

    /mnt-system is usually on a fat32 partition with all your cloop-compacted
    overlays. Using a separate reiserfs partition for persistence makes it
    unnecessary to write anything to the fat32 system, unless you want to modify
    some /boot, /efi or reference material there.
    Yes, I use a separate reiserfs partition for persistence and I a want to prevent anyone to write on my KNOPPIX-Partition.

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    If you actually never want to record ANY changes, then a LiveCD or LiveDVD
    would seem a better and cheaper answer than restricting a LiveUSB to read-only.
    Knoppix from stick is very faster.

    Thanks Moritz

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4

    knoppix 7.20 mnt-system read-only

    I have my problem solved with a new cheatcode and adaption the init.

    moritz.b

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    44
    Please post your solution, the boot parameter list and the adaptation to init. I would like to implement it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    This is very interesting in the context of USB, and possibly also SSD-disk, use. If, for example, /mnt-system is mounted ro, and the overlay is on ramdisk, concerns about media wear-out are greatly reduced. Overlay could, for example, be read into ramdisk from /mnt-system, or another partition, on boot, and on shutdown, there could be an option for saving it. There are also safety concerns - if overlay is never saved after performing potentially dangerous operations (typically websites wanting to run scripts modifying your browser configuration), one is much better protected.

    I consider publishing modified init scripts here a part of best Knoppix practices

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by moritz.b View Post
    I have my problem solved with a new cheatcode and adaption the init.

    moritz.b
    I have two concerns with the initial premise here.

    Unless your Knoppix user is denied root privileges,
    making that partition which contains /mnt-system read-only on a write-able
    medium offers no real protection against unauthorized changes to the contents
    of /mnt-system.

    If the Knoppix user is denied root privileges completely,
    there are many useful things his Knoppix can't do.

    I'd like to see how changes to init might get around these considerations.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    I have two concerns with the initial premise here.

    Unless your Knoppix user is denied root privileges,
    making that partition which contains /mnt-system read-only on a write-able
    medium offers no real protection against unauthorized changes to the contents
    of /mnt-system.

    If the Knoppix user is denied root privileges completely,
    there are many useful things his Knoppix can't do.

    I'd like to see how changes to init might get around these considerations.
    Even if it is possible to remount /mnt-system rw, having it mounted ro by default is clearly a safety measure. And, for example, everything could be placed in loop-mounted ISO images. So that you have to re-create it each time you want to update your persistent store. This could be equivalent to using one or more cloop/squashfs overlays.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by moritz.b View Post
    I have configured my Knoppix with overlays and would like to use the system without write access to my usb-stick.
    I think of cloops as read-only by definition, only written by specific intent, not somehow 'accidentally'. I count on this myself as
    protection against my overwriting a rw persistence file. Once my rw persistence content is relatively 'mature', I button its content up
    in a cloop to protect against possibly spoiling it myself. This also compacts things and I never really see any performance penalty.

    My expectation is that Moritz might be expecting to protect against another Knoppix user purposefully changing Moritz' product,
    which I expect that user probably can do if he has Knoppix root privileges. If he doesn't, he surely misses a lot of its power.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD  picture

Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD

$13.00



M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health picture

M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health

$35.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps picture

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps

$37.99



128GB SSD M.2 PCIE NVME Solid State Drive Mix Brand Samsung, WD, SK Hynix Kioxia picture

128GB SSD M.2 PCIE NVME Solid State Drive Mix Brand Samsung, WD, SK Hynix Kioxia

$16.59



KingSpec SSD 2.5

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac

$60.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00