I would suggest that you read the latest Desktop Entry Specification. On the page Recognized desktop entry keys you will find out that there is no key 'ServerExec'.
Hello!
How do I get a script to execute on boot in a persistent usb knoppix install?
I tried this, but it didn't work:
...but there's no /tmp/test directory on boot :\Code:knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ cat /home/knoppix/.config/autostart/startup.desktop [Desktop Entry] Name=Startup ServerExec="/bin/mkdir /tmp/test" Icon= Type=Application
more info about my setup:
Code:knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ uname -a Linux Microknoppix 3.9.6 #25 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jun 15 15:27:01 CEST 2013 i686 GNU/Linux
I would suggest that you read the latest Desktop Entry Specification. On the page Recognized desktop entry keys you will find out that there is no key 'ServerExec'.
Thanks for your fast response!
I updated the "ServerExec" line to "Exec" as per the link you provided, but there's still no /tmp/test file getting created on boot.
If there's errors with processing .config/autostart/* files, is there anywhere these errors will be logged so I can check for messages?Code:knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ cat .config/autostart/startup.desktop [Desktop Entry] Name=Startup Exec="/bin/mkdir /tmp/external" Icon= Type=Application
The first desktop file will create a new directory /tmp/testdir if it does not already exist.The second desktop file will create an empty file /tmp/testfile if it does not already exist.Code:knoppix@Knoppix720cd:~$ cat /home/knoppix/.config/autostart/mkTestdir.desktop [Desktop Entry] Name=mkTestdir Exec=/bin/mkdir -p /tmp/testdir Terminal=false Type=Application
Code:knoppix@Knoppix720cd:~$ cat /home/knoppix/.config/autostart/mkTestfile.desktop [Desktop Entry] Name=mkTestfile Exec=/usr/bin/touch /tmp/testfile Terminal=false Type=Application

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
$8.00
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.66