-
7.2.0 usb persistent image question
I recently bought 7.2.0 dvd on a usb drive from a retailer listed in the Order Knoppix section of the site. The problem is unlike previous versions I have had, the option to create a persistent image is not displayed during boot. I found that my session was automatically saved on the usb after I shut down, which I do not want. Usually I choose not to have persistence or encryption.
Is this some kind of flaw or has something changed?
-
Perhaps the retailer has already created a persistent memory for you. Have a look at
http://knoppix.net/wiki/Category:Har...e_Installation
to learn more about the two different methods of persitent memory within Knoppix. If you don't like it, delete the file knoppix-data.img respectively the file knoppix-data.inf (and the content of the overlay partition).
-
In the link it says:Flash disk InstallBoot with Knoppix CD/DVD and select 'Knoppix/ Install KNOPPIX to flash disk' (since Knoppix 7.1, respectively "experimental version" in Knoppix 7.05). There are two options to choose from:Installation on FAT32 with (optional) overlay file < 4GBInstallation on FAT32 with additional overlay partitionIn the first case you will get an installation of compressed filesysten Image and the persistent memory all within '/dev/sda1' (FAT32 formatted).In the other case you will get an installation of compressed filesystem Image to '/dev/sda1' (FAT32 formatted) and the persistent memory in '/dev/sda2' (ReiserFS formatted).What do I do if I don't want either type of persistent memory? ie: no persistent memory? Choose Cancel?Thanks.
-
If you cancel the installation of persistent memory within 7.2.0, the installation is broken and you cannot use it. With earlier versions of Knoppix you have had the ability to pass over this step and always use the cheatcode "knoppix noimage".
-
So it is necessary to always create some persistent memory?And I can not use the noimage cheatcode?The vendor I bought my usb from said I could also edit the ' /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg' file with 'noimage' to make it permanent. No?Thanks again.
-
Yes, of course, you can use "noimage" too.
http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes#Micro-Remastering
And after this you can delete the file '/mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img(or .aes) or, in case of partition overlay, the content of the overlay within the second partition.
I hope, KK will correct the little error within his script in the next version of Knoppix.
Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 10-05-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$119.00

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)
$345.97

New Juniper Networks EX3400-48P 48-Port PoE+ 4-Port SFP+ Ethernet Switch Sealed
$466.65

New Sealed Juniper EX4100-F-12P 12x 1GbE PoE 2x 10GbE uplinks 1 Year Warranty
$895.00

Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS
$8199.99

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch
$79.99

Juniper EX4600-40F-AFO 24-Port Dual PSU Network Switch
$164.98

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management
$249.97

Juniper EX 3200 Series EX3200-48T 48 Port 8PoE Ethernet Switch w Rack Ears
$59.99