-
Senior Member

Originally Posted by
buymystock



Greetings, utu,
This is great! I am able to hear and understand the
professor while he speaks in the English language during
the recent CeBIT gathering as I click on the link that you sent me.
Merriment and well-being will certainly follow the faithful and
unwavering Knoppix apostles!
Klaus has some seemingly worthwhile additions this year. Often with Knoppix as with OSes generally, though, it's one step forward, two steps back. Time will tell. I had to take a rest half way through the lecture, it was a bit slow, but will be back to hear the remainder tomorrow.
[snip] About using Wine: I only have three or four Windows applications I can't do without, and every year or so I check the Wine compatibility list to see if any of them are supported yet. I haven't had one make the list yet. I'd like to ask Klaus if he ever has need of OCR, for instance...An innocent listener would assume from his remarks that there's no need for Windows anymore.
[snip]
The dvd, or better, the usbflash install, when it works, is a very useful reference tool, and Klaus has done a terrific job in making Linux easily and relatively safely available to PC users. But his claim that it works out of the box without problems for 99% of PCs in use today is just nonsense. I'm hoping he tackles (instead of just flirting with) the issue of UEFI BIOS in the second half of the lecture. Because if you have a UEFI BIOS, you absolutely will not be able to boot from the DVD without doing some tweaking of the BIOS. And from what I've read, there are some UEFI BIOSes that won't even allow such tweaking. If he's found a simple fix for 7.3 (my experience is only with 7.2), that will be a significant contribution. I haven't figured out how to boot Puppy on my Haswell laptop yet...
Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 05-18-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Reason: Violation of forum rules
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

SOPHOS XGS 136 Firewall 12 Port 1G/2.5G - NO AC ADAPTER - NO HARD DRIVE
$65.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$199.99

Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance
$20.25

Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5GbE Firewall Router – Excellent Condition
$435.00

Unfi Security Gateway Pro
$170.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99