Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Linux compatibility and security dangers of UEFI "BIOS" in Asus N550JV

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member otropogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by buymystock View Post
    Greetings, utu,
    This is great! I am able to hear and understand the
    professor while he speaks in the English language during
    the recent CeBIT gathering as I click on the link that you sent me.
    Merriment and well-being will certainly follow the faithful and
    unwavering Knoppix apostles!
    Klaus has some seemingly worthwhile additions this year. Often with Knoppix as with OSes generally, though, it's one step forward, two steps back. Time will tell. I had to take a rest half way through the lecture, it was a bit slow, but will be back to hear the remainder tomorrow.

    [snip] About using Wine: I only have three or four Windows applications I can't do without, and every year or so I check the Wine compatibility list to see if any of them are supported yet. I haven't had one make the list yet. I'd like to ask Klaus if he ever has need of OCR, for instance...An innocent listener would assume from his remarks that there's no need for Windows anymore.

    [snip]

    The dvd, or better, the usbflash install, when it works, is a very useful reference tool, and Klaus has done a terrific job in making Linux easily and relatively safely available to PC users. But his claim that it works out of the box without problems for 99% of PCs in use today is just nonsense. I'm hoping he tackles (instead of just flirting with) the issue of UEFI BIOS in the second half of the lecture. Because if you have a UEFI BIOS, you absolutely will not be able to boot from the DVD without doing some tweaking of the BIOS. And from what I've read, there are some UEFI BIOSes that won't even allow such tweaking. If he's found a simple fix for 7.3 (my experience is only with 7.2), that will be a significant contribution. I haven't figured out how to boot Puppy on my Haswell laptop yet...
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 05-18-2014 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Violation of forum rules

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280  SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC picture

Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280 SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC

$34.99



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77