Business has become much more brazenly predatory in the past decade. We've become an "I'm allright Jack" society, and as business has gotten more monolithic, it goes for the low hanging fruit. Most PC users now (not to mention Mac users) are content to simply accept a disposable, preselected package of software and hardware, with no service except from the manufacturer's contracted service depot, which is probably so underpaid as to make screwing the client a necessity of staying alive.
Government doesn't care about people being ripped off systematically, let alone being incovenienced or having their own small business crippled by the greed priorities of "legitimate" corporations. And any media expose can expect to be hit with a major lawsuit, no matter how well documented the report is.
How else can you explain that a company like ASUS dares to sell a laptop for $1100, advertise it as being upgradable to 16GB, but provide no suitable upgrade chips, and refuse to direct the buyer to a source of a suitable RAM set. How to explain that they would sell a laptop of any kind with a battery which lasts 3 hours on a good day, and not only refuse to sell the buyer a spare, or direct him to a vendor, but even threaten to void the laptop's warranty if the user changes the battery. The only explanation I can come up with is that computer users have become sheep, and the manufacturers and retailers have turned in to wolves with a feeding frenzy.
Good luck with your old machine. I've been running old until last Fall. In fact, the ASUS was my first brand new PC since I bought a Tandy 100 back in 1985. But it's a hard slog. I'm just about to take a sledge hammer to my old hard drives, and am horrified to discover I've accumulated more than 20 over the years. They're not very well behaved either. I wanted to check them first for anything I might want to keep an failed to back up, but half of them won't work with the BIOS of the few older desktop machines I have left.
I've got enough old PC accessories and storage devices to create a small computer museum. but no one is interested in that stuff, and it will all end up polluting some beach in India and poisoning the board pickers who disassemble the precious materials.
Anyway, like so many things in our current social engineering storm, UEFI pretends to be defending us from harm by removing our options. Big business is all about creating captive markets now. And customers are coming to resemble feudal serfs more than free agents in an open market.
(I hope I haven't inadvertently started a new thread).

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 CMK32GX4M2E3200C16
$169.99
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00
DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$30.00
Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module
$29.25
G.skill Trident Royal Ddr4 16gb 3000
$79.99
(LOT of 10) Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2666V-RB2-12 DDR4 Cisco Server RAM Tested 100%
$1299.99
16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980
$39.99