Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Video problem with 7.2.0

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    It is not obvious why your system freezes.
    Have you already tried the cheat codes 'no3d' or '3d'?

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    28
    Thanks for your time Klaus.

    I have tried with cheat code 'knoppix no3d', the machine now stops during boot with error

    'grep: /etc/x11/xorg.conf: Input/output error

    I think, to avoid wasting your time, I will start from a fresh install and follow your instructions again to install the nVidia driver and see what happens.

    I should mention that I use the ADRIANE-KNOPPIX_V7.2.0g-CD-2013-07-28=EN ISO in case this has any bearing on the matter.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    28
    Here are some screenshots that I took yesterday, before installing the nVidia driver:

    Screenshot1.pngScreenshot2.pngScreenshot3.pngScreenshot4.png

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    28
    So just to update this, I have done a fresh install of the 7.2.0 ISO onto two different USB sticks, just to rule out possible USB stick issues. Both installations have failed after a few minutes - the screen images deteriorate and the OS becomes unusable. I am now back to using a fresh install of 6.7.1 on one of these same USB sticks and it's been working fine for the last hour or so. Below are a couple of photos of what happens to the screen:

    IMG_0067.JPGIMG_0069.JPG

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    28
    I still have not resolved this issue with my limited Linux experience. I have tested now three times with a fresh install, the results are as follows:

    Fresh install, no cheat codes, no additional drivers: Screen image deteriorates after a while (variable) and machine has to be rebooted.
    Fresh install, no cheat codes, appropriate nVidia drivers installed: Machine freezes after a short while and has to be rebooted.
    Fresh install, no3d cheat code: running fine, uptime several hours now.

    The no3d code is what Klaus suggested previously, I tried it after I'd already had some issues with the same install and it didn't work out. It seems to work fine when used with a fresh install.

  6. #16
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Did you ever tested the md5sum (=> Test the ISO) of your download and/or the integrity of your DVD/CD and of your flash install with the cheatcode "knoppix testcd"?

  7. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    Did you ever tested the md5sum (=> Test the ISO) of your download and/or the integrity of your DVD/CD and of your flash install with the cheatcode "knoppix testcd"?
    I tested the md5sum after downloaf, it was good. I have just run cheatcode "knoppix testcd".the system reports "All files OK".

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    28
    Also for further information: In the last few days I had the opportunity to test the following distros, some of which also gave problems with screen display on the same machine:

    Peppermint 4
    Ubuntu 12.04 screen also deteriorates, no solution found
    Bodhi 2.4
    Slax 7.0.8
    Porteus 2.1 screen also deteriorates, still trying to resolve it

    I think my best solution is to get another laptop without nVidia card

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    28
    I found what appears to be the appropriate driver, but I have no idea how to install a .run file to the system or indeed whether it is likely to be compatible.

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...100.14.09.html

    Can one of the more experienced members assist?

  10. #20
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Didn't you read "Step 3: Install"?

    Use the root-terminal, change with "cd" to the folder with your download and type "sh NVI" [TAB][ENTER]. [TAB] will autocomplete the packagename.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD  picture

Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD

$13.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps picture

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps

$37.99



Samsung SSD, v-nand,860 EVO, 500gb, model MZ-76E500, SATA III, Health 90-98% picture

Samsung SSD, v-nand,860 EVO, 500gb, model MZ-76E500, SATA III, Health 90-98%

$50.00



Micron 1100 256GB 2.5

Micron 1100 256GB 2.5" SATA III SSD MTFDDAK256TBN-1AR1ZABHA Tested & Wiped

$25.00



Samsung PM961 256GB,Internal (MZ-VLW2560) Solid State Drive picture

Samsung PM961 256GB,Internal (MZ-VLW2560) Solid State Drive

$102.00



KingSpec SSD 2.5

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac

$60.00