Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Video problem with 7.2.0

  1. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    Didn't you read "Step 3: Install"? Use the root-terminal, change with "cd" to the folder with your download and type "sh NVI" [TAB][ENTER]. [TAB] will autocomplete the packagename.
    Thanks for your help Werner. I read "Step 3: Install" but it presupposes that I will know that I have to perform the steps that you outline here. I have followed your instruction to the point where I am instructed to stop the X server before the install can continue. Again, I don't have this knowledge and it seems that any instruction I find WRT to stopping the X server either also presupposes some prior step or is applicable to a distro other than Knoppix. So I'm snookered again.

  2. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    28
    I've managed to get to runlevel 3 by changing inittab, the Nvidia installation now starts but then stops when wanting to download kernel headers or such. At that stage my machine has not yet connected to wifi so the installation stalls, so I need a way to get to runlevel 3 without having to reboot which kills my wifi.
    Last edited by dataworx22; 10-24-2013 at 09:55 AM.

  3. #23
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    As you have seen before the kernel include files for the Knoppix 7.2.0 kernel are present on the CD edition otherwise you would not have been able to compile and install the current driver from the experimental repository.

    The driver you found at NVIDIA's website is many years old. There were many improvements and changes in the kernel include files since then. Therefore I would not expect the old driver to be compatible with today's Linux kernels.

    It is possible to execute the .run file with the option '--help' or '-h -A'. This will show you a list of options you could try out. Since it is a long list you should use an LXTerminal with scroll bars.

  4. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by klaus2008 View Post
    As you have seen before the kernel include files for the Knoppix 7.2.0 kernel are present on the CD edition otherwise you would not have been able to compile and install the current driver from the experimental repository. The driver you found at NVIDIA's website is many years old. There were many improvements and changes in the kernel include files since then. Therefore I would not expect the old driver to be compatible with today's Linux kernels. It is possible to execute the .run file with the option '--help' or '-h -A'. This will show you a list of options you could try out. Since it is a long list you should use an LXTerminal with scroll bars.
    Thank you very much for your interest and assistance Klaus. The system is stable with cheatcode 'no3d' so I think I'll leave it at that.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by dataworx22 View Post
    Thank you very much for your interest and assistance Klaus. The system is stable with cheatcode 'no3d' so I think I'll leave it at that.
    dataworx22, are you typing in the no3d cheatcode every time you boot? If so, there is a way to make the cheatcode permanent, so you don't need to type it in.

    It involves editing the file /mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg. Details are here under "Micro Remastering": http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes#Micro-Remastering

    You will skip the DEFAULT part (you are already defaulting to knoppix), and add the no3d cheatcode to the APPEND line under the knoppix LABEL. The details are in the URL I gave.

    Good luck.

  6. #26
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Did you read the date of the posting you've answered?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Vintage Atari XC12 Program Cassette Tape Player With Original Box As Is Untested picture

Vintage Atari XC12 Program Cassette Tape Player With Original Box As Is Untested

$69.99



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats picture

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats

$35.00



Vintage ATARI SF314 DS/DD 3.5

Vintage ATARI SF314 DS/DD 3.5" External Drive TESTED but can't read/write disks

$69.99



Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED  picture

Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED

$67.76



A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS picture

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS

$16.95



ATARI XF551 DISK DRIVE WITH AC POWER ADAPTER AND PARALLEL PORT ADAPTER, UNTESTED picture

ATARI XF551 DISK DRIVE WITH AC POWER ADAPTER AND PARALLEL PORT ADAPTER, UNTESTED

$250.00



Vintage 1984: Super Sketch G2300 For Atari Home Computer picture

Vintage 1984: Super Sketch G2300 For Atari Home Computer

$72.00



Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U picture

Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U

$159.99