-
Senior Member
registered user
It is not obvious why your system freezes.
Have you already tried the cheat codes 'no3d' or '3d'?
-
Thanks for your time Klaus.
I have tried with cheat code 'knoppix no3d', the machine now stops during boot with error
'grep: /etc/x11/xorg.conf: Input/output error
I think, to avoid wasting your time, I will start from a fresh install and follow your instructions again to install the nVidia driver and see what happens.
I should mention that I use the ADRIANE-KNOPPIX_V7.2.0g-CD-2013-07-28=EN ISO in case this has any bearing on the matter.
-
Here are some screenshots that I took yesterday, before installing the nVidia driver:
Screenshot1.pngScreenshot2.pngScreenshot3.pngScreenshot4.png
-
So just to update this, I have done a fresh install of the 7.2.0 ISO onto two different USB sticks, just to rule out possible USB stick issues. Both installations have failed after a few minutes - the screen images deteriorate and the OS becomes unusable. I am now back to using a fresh install of 6.7.1 on one of these same USB sticks and it's been working fine for the last hour or so. Below are a couple of photos of what happens to the screen:
IMG_0067.JPGIMG_0069.JPG
-
I still have not resolved this issue with my limited Linux experience. I have tested now three times with a fresh install, the results are as follows:
Fresh install, no cheat codes, no additional drivers: Screen image deteriorates after a while (variable) and machine has to be rebooted.
Fresh install, no cheat codes, appropriate nVidia drivers installed: Machine freezes after a short while and has to be rebooted.
Fresh install, no3d cheat code: running fine, uptime several hours now.
The no3d code is what Klaus suggested previously, I tried it after I'd already had some issues with the same install and it didn't work out. It seems to work fine when used with a fresh install.
-
Did you ever tested the md5sum (=> Test the ISO) of your download and/or the integrity of your DVD/CD and of your flash install with the cheatcode "knoppix testcd"?
-

Originally Posted by
Werner P. Schulz
Did you ever tested the md5sum (=> Test the ISO) of your download and/or the integrity of your DVD/CD and of your flash install
with the cheatcode "knoppix testcd"?
I tested the md5sum after downloaf, it was good. I have just run cheatcode "knoppix testcd".the system reports "All files OK".
-
Also for further information: In the last few days I had the opportunity to test the following distros, some of which also gave problems with screen display on the same machine:
Peppermint 4
Ubuntu 12.04 screen also deteriorates, no solution found
Bodhi 2.4
Slax 7.0.8
Porteus 2.1 screen also deteriorates, still trying to resolve it
I think my best solution is to get another laptop without nVidia card
-
I found what appears to be the appropriate driver, but I have no idea how to install a .run file to the system or indeed whether it is likely to be compatible.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...100.14.09.html
Can one of the more experienced members assist?
-
Didn't you read "Step 3: Install"?
Use the root-terminal, change with "cd" to the folder with your download and type "sh NVI" [TAB][ENTER]. [TAB] will autocomplete the packagename.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW
$30.89

Samsung PM961 256GB,Internal (MZ-VLW2560) Solid State Drive
$102.00

FOR PARTS - Lot of 10 - Samsung Tab A9+ Plus 64GB Graphite Clean IMEI - READ
$299.00

QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black
$500.00

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc
$27.99

Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible
$39.00

Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2
$89.00

Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD
$59.99

Samsung XE303 C12 Chromebook 11.6 1.7GHz, 2GB Ram, 16GB SSD, working condition
$42.00

Samsung Book Cover Keyboard Slim EF-DT730 Black
$80.00