Also for further information: In the last few days I had the opportunity to test the following distros, some of which also gave problems with screen display on the same machine:
Peppermint 4
Ubuntu 12.04 screen also deteriorates, no solution found
Bodhi 2.4
Slax 7.0.8
Porteus 2.1 screen also deteriorates, still trying to resolve it
I think my best solution is to get another laptop without nVidia card![]()
I found what appears to be the appropriate driver, but I have no idea how to install a .run file to the system or indeed whether it is likely to be compatible.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...100.14.09.html
Can one of the more experienced members assist?

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95
Yealink SIP-T58W Bluetooth Cordless Handset IP Phone 7in Touch WiFi - Used
$329.00
Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth
$39.99
$85.00
Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28
UBIQUITI UVP-TOUCH VoIP Desktop Touchscreen Smart Phone
$55.00
Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00
Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked)
$17.99
Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99
Yealink SIP-T58W Smart Business IP Phone 7in Touchscreen WiFi PoE - Used
$259.00