-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
utu
1.... I hope you'll post more details of just how you
manage your Knoppix re-masterings.
2. My op ed earlier was slanted toward asking a minimum of Klaus K, trying to stay
within what I think his own framework for producing Knoppix might be.
Other Linux distros have their own minimal configuration from which to build up one's
own tailor-made system. KK could easily dump a 'baseline' iso with very little
additional effort.
3. I think you and I may represent two extremes in using Knoppix. I prefer a mininal
configuration, and like to build up my small Knoppix from overlays. You seem to represent
the 'power user' and can and do tackle larger modifications of Knoppix to get what you
want. One size to begin or end with clearly wont suit both of us.
4. I concur that Klaus K would much prefer a good working example of code for any
suggested improvement of Knoppix. Gilles' contributions to init show how effective this
approach can be.
1. I have already posted the scripts&essential details, but I will update it on the next round of remastering. I dropped 7.2 because of kernel incompatibilities with VMware Workstation 8.X - I didn't want to upgrade WS8 then.
2. I don't completely agree with the opinion that a minimal Knoppix is such a simple task - all the extra issues that have been with CD versions over time clearly demonstrate something else, I think. But of course, something way smaller that the DVD stuffing will suffice. What is needed, is a "knxbootstrap" package as an expanded derivative of debootstrap - and I really wish someone would look into it. Although non-trivial, it shouldn't be that hard to do.
3. I'm not so sure that the same starting point won't work for us - I think it very well could. In fact, I would far prefer starting with something smaller, than running the risky purging business I have to do now, to wipe out some 1-2 GB of unneeded packages. I have totally given up projects to produce a more minimalist Knoppix by extensive purging - always end up with system crashes because the deb package dependencies handling is so far from foolproof.
4. The best way to influence KK is probably to make real improvements that still stay within his "paradigm". Creating auxiliary deb packages could be a way.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99