The Knoppix way of mounting cloop file system overlays is already modularized (http://knoppix.net/forum/showthread....ng-cloop-files) , and maybe this approach could be a way to get a good remastering base:

The basic cloop KNOPPIX should contain the 32 bit base with all the great hardware handling we know and love, and the LXDE desktop with only the bare necessities. This should contain only the applications that presently are on the CD version in the menu categories Knoppix, System Tools, Universal Access and Preferences, and in Accessories only the applications File Manager PCManFM, LXterminal and Root Terminal and maybe LeafPad.

To make the Knoppix version that can fit on a CD, cloop KNOPPIX1 should contain what is missing in the basic 32 bit KNOPPIX cloop in terms of user applications. It should be possible to create the CD version by putting the two cloops KNOPPIX and KNOPPIX1 in the ISO along with the 32 bit kernel and the minirt.gz and the rest that it takes to make a bootable CD.

64bit support should be put in a separate cloop KNOPPIX2 that is only dependant on the basic cloop KNOPPIX and the 64 bit kernel. The 64 bit cloop KNOPPIX2 should contain 64 bit base with hardware handling and 64 bit drivers. This cloop should be built to work on top of the basic 32 bit KNOPPIX cloop. I guess the 64 bit cloop KNOPPIX2 doesn't need to contain user applications.

Finally the big cloop KNOPPIX3 that contains the desktops and the applications that can't fit on the CD. Thus to make the Knoppix DVD version, one should put all four cloops and both kernels into an ISO. When booting this, Knoppix mounts the cloops KNOPPIX, KNOPPIX1 (CD version), KNOPPIX2 (64 bit support) and KNOPPIX3 (desktops and more applications) in that order.

To make a version with 32 and 64 bit hardware support and only a special selection of applications, I can take the basic 32 bit cloop KNOPPIX, the 64 bit cloop KNOPPIX2 renaming it to KNOPPIX1, and put the applications I want into a third cloop KNOPPIX2. Now I can easily make a remastered Knoppix that I'm sure won't be broken, because I haven't removed anything from the base cloops.

Hopefully, this modularized cloop approach won't make too much extra work for the Knoppix developers team. It takes more effort to always keep in mind which packets should go into which cloop.