I understand that. It's seems a shame to me that that is so. I also understand that there have been many derivatives of Knoppix that went in alternate directions. That is a GOOD THING. What some of us would like and don't think is too much of a burden, is for Klaus to release a primitive Knoppix that OTHERS can use to create a modular Knoppix derivative. Unlike my friend above, I don't think it even needs a GUI, in that that could also be a module.

The way I understand the process Klaus goes through is that he get a basic system running, then adds software, and then fixes all the havoc that software creates, while stripping weight (bytes) to fit an enormous amount of software onto a CD or DVD. All we are asking is that he release the initial basic system, so that we can make additions on our own. My dream is to take a basic system and create a Porteus-like modular system on it. This should be possible using the KNOPPIX1 containing filesystem.

Klaus has created a wonderful, useful OS. But, as has been said many times and many places, its usefulness is limited because the CD and DVD versions are "not meant to provide" a daily use OS and it has proven difficult to convert these version to an OS that could be used in that way. By giving us a simple, Debian compliant system, I think that Klaus could enable us to create a wonderful, productive, easily used and modified OS.

I realize it is totally up to him if he decides to do this or not. We're just asking. Please.