Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Suggestion to Klaus Knopper: release combined 32- and 64-bit base for remastering

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    44
    utu, I agree that a 32 bit basic Knoppix without IceWeasel, LibreOffice and Gimp would be a very useful base for customizing, and hopefully it won't cost Klaus Knopper much extra work. We must keep his build proces in mind, it's not divided into stages as I suggested.

    Regarding adding software on the fly, have you experimented with the update feature as described in knoppix-cheatcodes.txt ? "If you place an update*.zip or update*tar.gz file on the medium holding the KNOPPIX data, it will be unpacked onto the overlayed filesystem before starting "init", thus allowing quick reconfiguration of the system."

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @fredvej
    1. Thanks, Freddy, for starting this nice thread. We're seeing a nice interesting
    interaction among forum members here as a result.
    2. I've used the two update features on occasion in the past as a means of preserving
    my persistence file material which I am in the habit of catasrophically over-writing
    on occasion. However, it is so easy to package, compact and save a snapshot of
    persistence with a mkisofs utility, I currently prefer that approach.

    @capricorny
    1. Greetings, nice to hear from you. I hope you'll post more details of just how you
    manage your Knoppix re-masterings.
    2. My op ed earlier was slanted toward asking a minimum of Klaus K, trying to stay
    within what I think his own framework for producing Knoppix might be.
    Other Linux distros have their own minimal configuration from which to build up one's
    own tailor-made system. KK could easily dump a 'baseline' iso with very little
    additional effort.
    3. I think you and I may represent two extremes in using Knoppix. I prefer a mininal
    configuration, and like to build up my small Knoppix from overlays. You seem to represent
    the 'power user' and can and do tackle larger modifications of Knoppix to get what you
    want. One size to begin or end with clearly wont suit both of us.
    4. I concur that Klaus K would much prefer a good working example of code for any
    suggested improvement of Knoppix. Gilles' contributions to init show how effective this
    approach can be.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    1.... I hope you'll post more details of just how you
    manage your Knoppix re-masterings.
    2. My op ed earlier was slanted toward asking a minimum of Klaus K, trying to stay
    within what I think his own framework for producing Knoppix might be.
    Other Linux distros have their own minimal configuration from which to build up one's
    own tailor-made system. KK could easily dump a 'baseline' iso with very little
    additional effort.
    3. I think you and I may represent two extremes in using Knoppix. I prefer a mininal
    configuration, and like to build up my small Knoppix from overlays. You seem to represent
    the 'power user' and can and do tackle larger modifications of Knoppix to get what you
    want. One size to begin or end with clearly wont suit both of us.
    4. I concur that Klaus K would much prefer a good working example of code for any
    suggested improvement of Knoppix. Gilles' contributions to init show how effective this
    approach can be.
    1. I have already posted the scripts&essential details, but I will update it on the next round of remastering. I dropped 7.2 because of kernel incompatibilities with VMware Workstation 8.X - I didn't want to upgrade WS8 then.
    2. I don't completely agree with the opinion that a minimal Knoppix is such a simple task - all the extra issues that have been with CD versions over time clearly demonstrate something else, I think. But of course, something way smaller that the DVD stuffing will suffice. What is needed, is a "knxbootstrap" package as an expanded derivative of debootstrap - and I really wish someone would look into it. Although non-trivial, it shouldn't be that hard to do.
    3. I'm not so sure that the same starting point won't work for us - I think it very well could. In fact, I would far prefer starting with something smaller, than running the risky purging business I have to do now, to wipe out some 1-2 GB of unneeded packages. I have totally given up projects to produce a more minimalist Knoppix by extensive purging - always end up with system crashes because the deb package dependencies handling is so far from foolproof.
    4. The best way to influence KK is probably to make real improvements that still stay within his "paradigm". Creating auxiliary deb packages could be a way.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    I don't completely agree with the opinion that a minimal Knoppix is such a simple task .
    I only mean it seems like it will be difficult for everyone to agree on what constitures some optimal minimum.
    For example, PCLinuxOS and Porteus come with some real small minimal configs, but I always want LibreOffice, Geany and Flash,
    even in my most minimal configuration. I can give up gimp and virtualbox, since I don't use them much. I'm sure everyone has
    their own mix of 'standard' programs. Klaus K's 32-bit CD image comes awfully close for me.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    . The best way to influence KK is probably to make real improvements that still stay within his "paradigm". Creating auxiliary deb packages could be a way.
    I agree in principal. My impression is that KK may accept improvements (code) word-for-word from the pros among us,
    but will quite likely reword worthy contributions from those of us less l'arned in the trade. I expect some working script
    will usually suffice to get his attention. That is, I don't think one needs go as far as deb packaging if you are onto a good idea.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    I agree in principal. My impression is that KK may accept improvements (code) word-for-word from the pros among us,
    but will quite likely reword worthy contributions from those of us less l'arned in the trade. I expect some working script
    will usually suffice to get his attention. That is, I don't think one needs go as far as deb packaging if you are onto a good idea.
    The deb package step is not for KK, but for sharing with other Knoppix users/modifiers. A common problem with all the Knoppix derivatives, is updating. Implementing the modifications as a series of deb packages, and updating those as needed, allows for simple updating of the modified versions with new Knx releases.

    As for a workable minimal Knx also suited for 64 bits, I think the CD version plus a few tools may come rather close. A cloop/squashfs image of size 1-1.5 GB should suffice today, I think.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$259.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop picture

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop

$221.00



Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD

$29.99