Interestingly, you can start up a second X session by typing this into an LXTerminal from my normal x session:

Code:
sudo xinit -- :1 -sharevts -novtswitch vt8 -config /home/knoppix/WORKING_UDLFB_XORG.CONF
(I know that running X as root isn't a good idea but I just wanted to see if it would work)

and an X window opens up on the displaylink and I can mouse over to it and type commands in the xterm.

so if I put the focus on the xterm on the displaylink and type "dosbox" and enter, dosbox runs on the displaylink. Pretty cool.

Now to figure out how to run this as an ordinary user because without sudo it complains that it doesn't have permission to open vt8 or the /var/log/Xorg1.log logfile.


Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "X.org Configured"
      Option           "Xinerama" "on"
        Option           "Clone"      "off"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0

    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        Option            "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
    FontPath     "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
    FontPath     "built-ins"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load  "dbe"
    Load  "dri"
    Load  "dri2"
    Load  "extmod"
    Load  "glx"
    Load  "record"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "Protocol" "auto"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "DisplayLinkMonitor"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "DisplayLinkDevice"
    Driver        "fbdev"
    BusID         "USB"
    Option        "fbdev" "/dev/fb2"
EndSection


Section "Screen"
      Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "DisplayLinkDevice"
    Monitor "DisplayLinkMonitor"
    DefaultDepth 16
EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Mode    0666
EndSection