Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: KNOPPIX/README_Security.txt

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2

    KNOPPIX/README_Security.txt

    I have read the FAQ's and searched for how to set the root password and the subject above is the answer I get with no link. Where is this file, does it come with the DL and once I find it can I expect to be able to understand how to use it. The last time I tried I was able to run the "root shell", switch to a different terminal with root access, run the command "sudo su root". Then what? thats all the instruction I have. I don't understand how to set the password or even exit the terminal without making any changes.


    Also if someone could suggest a good book for someone like me who has no experience with Knoppix/Linux at all I would really appreciate it.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    85
    Here is how I found how to change the root password.
    1. click on "docs" on this website at the top of the page
    2. click on FAQusing
    3. Look at the 2nd question


    Q: What is the root password?

    A: There is none; all passwords are locked by default. You can set it by going Knoppix Menu->Root Shell and typing "passwd", then enterting a root password, also there are several sections you can read dealing with this subject in KNOPPIX/README_Security.txt. You can also type "sudo su" or "sudo -s" in any console window, or use <ctr>-<alt>-F2 to get at the text console with already opened root shell.

    Apparently, however, in some versions of Knoppix, if you type 'sudo -s', it will ask for a password. If you simply press return without entering anything, it will tell you 'Authentication Failed."


    I know it can be overwhelming, but there is a lot of really good documentation on this site. It's just a lot to read.

    I hope this helps.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    85
    Sorry, I forgot to suggest a good book.
    I REALLY liked this one
    Linux Administration A Beginner's Guide: second edition
    http://shop.osborne.com/cgi-bin/osborne/0072131365.html

    It looks like they have a 3rd edition out now
    http://shop.osborne.com/cgi-bin/osborne/0072225629.html

    Also the linux Bible book was really good.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
    I got these books because they were not distribution specific.
    Most books out there are redhat or mandrake specific, I try to stick to the non distro specific books myself, to get a good overview of linux in general.

    Enjoy!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14" 16GB, Storm Gray

$356.80



Lenovo Thinkbook 15 G2, i5 1135G7, 256GB, 8GB, 20VE003GUS no OS, Iris Xe, 15.6

Lenovo Thinkbook 15 G2, i5 1135G7, 256GB, 8GB, 20VE003GUS no OS, Iris Xe, 15.6"

$200.00



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6" Full HD Laptop - Intel Processor N355 2025- 8G...

$349.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6" Full HD Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 40 2025 - 8GB Memo...

$379.99



Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core i5-1135G7@2.40GHz Laptop picture

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop

$220.36



Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11

$229.99