Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: WICD on KNOPPIX 7.0.3

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    146

    WICD on KNOPPIX 7.0.3

    Re: 7.0.3 LiveUSB/CD & WICD network manager

    Hi,

    I see where WICD network manager can be setup on knoppix, but how is it done correctly? I seem to recall it needs to point to a config file . . .

    Also, couldn't cheatcode 'nonetworkmanager' be valid, if WICD is properly installed?

    THX!
    luther

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    146

    Pass One Non-Functional

    Hi,

    link

    Code:
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# ifup wlan0
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.2.2
    Copyright 2004-2011 Internet Systems Consortium.
    All rights reserved.
    For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
    
    RTNETLINK answers: Operation not possible due to RF-kill
    Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:14:a5:7a:e4:20
    Sending on   LPF/wlan0/00:14:a5:7a:e4:20
    Sending on   Socket/fallback
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
    send_packet: Network is down
    receive_packet failed on wlan0: Network is down
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15
    send_packet: Network is down
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 16
    send_packet: Network is down
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
    send_packet: Network is down
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
    send_packet: Network is down
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
    send_packet: Network is down
    No DHCPOFFERS received.
    Unable to obtain a lease on first try.  Exiting.
    Failed to bring up wlan0.
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix#
    The above dialog surfaced following the 'How to use a WiFi interface' link for wicd.

    Q: What's the trick to get wicd functional, using the nonetworkmanager cheatcode?
    I have had problems with RF-kill, using network-manager before.

    Regards,
    luther

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    146

    docs

    Title: wicd
    Description: Wired and wireless network manager for Linux.
    Version: 1.7.0
    Original-site: http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
    Comments:

    To start wicd daemon add to your boot script (/??/???????.?):
    /usr/local/etc/init.d/dbus restart
    /usr/local/etc/init.d/wicd start

    For persistency add to your backup list (/??/.???????.???):
    usr/local/etc/wicd
    var/lib/wicd/configurations
    ***********

    Q: Where is the locations of the boot script & backup list for knoppix 7.0.3?

    THX!
    luther

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Hi luther!

    Here is how I installed wicd on a CF card with a fresh install of Knoppix 7.0.3 DVD.

    My first step was to download the packages wicd_1.7.2.4-4_all.deb, python-wicd_1.7.2.4-4_all.deb, wicd-daemon_1.7.2.4-4_all.deb and wicd-gtk_1.7.2.4-4_all.deb from the Debian repository. As you can see there is a package with a GTK interface, but there exist other packages with a curses interface (wicd-curses) and and a command line client (wicd-cli).

    I saved these packages in a special directory on the CF card called wicd-packages. Then I booted off the CF card using the following cheat codes
    Code:
    knoppix nonetworkmanager 2
    In the root shell I installed the packages mentionend above.
    Code:
    dpkg -i /mnt-system/wicd-packages/*.deb
    Then I switched to runlevel 5 with its desktop environment (LXDE). The icon of the networkmanager applet had been replaced by new one. I clicked on this iconwith the left mouse button and got a list of available wireless networks. Before I was able to connect to my my preferred wireless network I had to adjust the settings for the network security.

    It took a few seconds before the icon changed and the signal strength was shown.

    In the configuration file /mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg I added the cheat code nonetworkmanager. After reboot the wireless network connection was established automatically.

    I do not think you have to add the wicd in the configuration file /etc/rc.local

    I hope that helps.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    146

    *solved*

    Quote Originally Posted by klaus2008 View Post

    I do not think you have to add the wicd in the configuration file /etc/rc.local
    Hi,
    Confirmation, both Adriane & LXDE now have internet connection via WiFi.

    luther

  6. #6

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller picture

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller

$714.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



Promise SuperTrak EX8350 PCI‑Express x4 SATA II RAID Controller Card picture

Promise SuperTrak EX8350 PCI‑Express x4 SATA II RAID Controller Card

$129.99



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives

$149.95



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA  HDD picture

Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD

$14.99



1 Dell Ultra SSD M.2 NVMe PCI-Express x16 Solid State Storage Adapter Card 6N9RH picture

1 Dell Ultra SSD M.2 NVMe PCI-Express x16 Solid State Storage Adapter Card 6N9RH

$59.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00