-
Introduction and a question
I am a newcomer to Knoppix, which I found after an Internet search. I was a RedHat user in earlier days (v7 - 9) and more recently had been using Open SUSE, v10 -v13.
I learned about Knoppix as I was attempting to upgrade to SUSE 13 and kept crashing during the install. In hindsight, the cause was due to the hardware of the machine I was installing on: a repurposed HP with an AMD dual-core processor and on-board NVidia video.
I obtained a Knoppix .iso and was able to get the machine to load from that. After that success I obtained the DVD .iso and explored that as well. Noting that HD install was possible, I installed to the 500 GB SATA drive.
All was well until I opted to start the KDE desktop in lieu of the default. Once I selected KDE and rebooted the machine would crash repeatedly with the display garbled.
More research led me to discover the problem with NVidia drivers; I obtained an ATI Radeon video card and installed it in the PCI Express slot, disabling on-board video. The machine is stable although I may need to address cooling and power supply concerns in the future.
My reason for wanting a Linux / GNU OS machine was to avail myself of the use of the GCC compliler. I am a programmer and set myself the task to learn C++ and the X Window system.
So I am posting today to thank all those who contributed to Knoppix 7.2 and to ask where the C libraries are in this installation? Code such as "#include <iostream.h> ..." causes a compiler error. The compiler is installed, but apparently the libraries are in non-standard locations? That's my best guess anyway.
I did read the caution against installing Knoppix to the HD - belatedly. I suppose if I were to do it again I would start over from a Debian set of discs. My poor DSL connection from home makes that a very daunting download, however.
Thanks for any guidance on the compiler issue.
clh333
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640
$39.99

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested
$149.99

Seagate Exos X16 ST12000NM001G 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$349.95