-
Knoppix 7.2 vfat usb flashdrive and pipelight for Netflix
Hello, I've recently found myself needing to PC hop lately, so since knoppix was my very fist linux distro many years ago I thought it would be the perfect way for me to have a personalized linux experience in my pocket that could boot on most pc hardware which is important since I often don't know what pc I'll be booting onto.
I did a usb flash install from the live knoppix dvd, and had my knoppix installation ready to go on my flash drive. After installing knoppix to the drive I began the process of customizing it by installing my favorite applications, one of which is pipelight, the tool that lets linux users have silverlight in the browser which I personally use for netflix.
Netflix would load it's silverlight application without a problem, but it kept giving me an error code, and after some research I found it was because knoppix installed itself to the flash drive in a vfat partition , and vfat doesn't support "Extended File Attributes" (xattr), which apparently is something you need to play nicely with netflix.
Is there a way to do the knoppix flash drive install with a file system other than vfat? It appears ext3/4 and even ext2 would give me the xattr support netflix requires. Any insight and help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.
Below is the link to the launchpad thread that clued me into the vfat / fat32 xattr limitation: https://bugs.launchpad.net/pipelight/+bug/1216332
Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 12-24-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Reason: fomatted by mod
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM
$139.99

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

(8) Micron 32GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM PC4-2933Y Server Memory MTA36ASF4G72PZ *TESTED*
$1599.00

Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS
$450.00

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx8 DDR4-2400T Reg ECC Server RAM HMA82GR7AFR8N-UH (32GB/2) Lot 2
$157.50

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50