-
Please help! Knoppix won't boot
I am brand spanking new to the world of unix/linux. So I burned myself a knoppix cd and it boots from the CD gives me the "Boot:" prompt. I tried all the stuff on the cheat sheet. It just goes to a black screen and locks up like that. (even pressing num lock won't make the light turn off and on). So I rebooted. I tried the 'failsafe' option, and it shows all sorts of text, gets up to something about the 'hlt' function, and then locks up there.
Please help me?
I'm running a P3 500mhz with 196 megs of ram, a Gforce 2mx graphics card, Avermedia TV tuner card (PCI), network card connected to my DSL modem, sound blaster live, and that's it.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I'm sorry, you'll have to post more infomation about what exactly it says when you boot in failsafe, before it locks up.
-
New user aswell
Gidday Pheonix5,
I'm a new user aswell. Have you tried the Justlinux site at http://justlinux.com/index.php
If you havn't give them ago they are full of great info.
The first things that I was asked were are your bios settings correct.
you should disable auto pnp and also make sure that the system is set to boot from cdrom.
Regards Andrew
p.s. If you get anymore info to help my problem out (check postings by AndrewVDP) it would be appreciated..
-
Senior Member
registered user
Did you try cdtest on the cheat sheet?
It tests the Knoppix CD [Data Intergity]
Maybe try this: knoppix lang=us screen=1024x768 xvrefresh=60 desktop=kde xserver=XFree86 xmodule=fbdev (Re-Check these commands, might have wrote wrong or missplelled)
Similar Threads
-
By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
-
By helios17 in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
-
By J.A.X in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-30-2004, 02:52 AM
-
By ebone in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-16-2003, 02:26 AM
-
By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

LaCie 2big Thunderbolt 2 6TB Dual-Bay RAID Desktop HDD USB 3.0 7200RPM
$670.00

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

SansDigital TowerRaid TR4X+ 4x6TB 24TB SAS2 External RAID JBOD Enclosure
$189.45

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00