Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Floppy Boot Problems and Other - Help Appreciated

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1

    Floppy Boot Problems and Other - Help Appreciated

    Hello,

    I don't think this has been addressed before, I have looked over much of this board but haven't found what I am looking for.

    I have really had a LOT of good luck with this linux installation, it identified my hardware better than windows did. It works amazing and I soon decided I would put it on my hard drive.

    I had tried once before with slackware and their slackzip that could be put on a FAT32 drive, it worked well for a few weeks, and I got all my hardware working eventually unfortunately windows crashed and I had to reformat. This is my next attempt.

    I just got a brand spanking new 80gb WD 7200rpm drive and decided I would move windows off my little 4 gig I was replacing. That freed up an entire drive for Knoppix. I got windows running on my now first drive, and ran the knx-hdinstall script to install on the 4 gig, it worked very well and some of my earlier experience helped. I got I finished the install easily and rebooted.

    I was now presented with the lilo menu, containing both windows and linux. I was very pleased. I tried to boot windows but NOTHING happened, it just said "booting Windows(hda1)" and did not continue, however, linux boots fine.

    I went into linux and searched this board and found this very useful article http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...t=lilo+windows. It explained that I should use GRUB, and what not, fine, I followed the instructions but soon realized I was supposed to put LILO on the linux partition. I reinstalled and did so, I made a boot disk but when I tried to boot with the disk I got this error, "Boot Failed" right at the begining before anything happened.

    I tried several different things but they all failed. I took a different angle, I booted on the Knoppix cd (a very useful tool) and took a look at installing LILO into the MBR as well as the partition. I didn't know how this would work, I assumed it would work fine but I didn't get that far, I found this article http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...lilo+reinstall
    that explained how to install lilo. Unfortunately when I try to chroot to /mnt/hdb1/ (which is mounted) I get a long error, it repeats

    Code:
    bash: /dev/null: Permission Denied
    more times than will fit on a screen. At this point I went for help. I may be able to figue more out but its quite late and I'd like to see what people have to say, have I done anything wrong, what is causing these problems. How do I fix or circumvent them. Any help or suggestions you can give would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I'm pretty newbieish so a good explanation would be useful. Thanks so much for any help.

    My system info is:

    hda = Western Digital 80gb 7200rpm
    hdb = Quantum Fireball 4gb
    256 mb ram
    Asus motherboard

    if you need anthing else, just ask.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    101
    Go to /etc/fstab , open with kwrite. It shows where the devices are
    located. It's a little deceiving - my shows windows hdg1, but in LILO
    I need to put hdg ! Always default to 3-letter for booting windows.
    My config = 40GB Maxtor 19.5 | .25 | 19.5 .

    # /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
    #
    # filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
    /dev/hdg6 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    /dev/hdg5 none swap sw 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    # partitions found by Knoppix
    /dev/hdg1 /mnt/hdg1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
    #/dev/hdg6 /mnt/hdg6 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
    /dev/scd0 /cdrom auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
    /dev/scd1 /cdrom auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0


    Its always best to use LILO, from my experience.

    Also after installing Knoppix, it said hda1 for DOS. I inserted hdg and Windows - you only need the first 2 lines.

    If your windows dev is # , deleted it and you can add an
    HDD-WINDOWS to your Knoppix desktop.

    Also I would suggest using ext3-journal FS for Knoppix, I've read some bad thinks about Resierfs. You dont have to use xfs filesytem,
    even though the Knoppix use's an XFS kernel.

    Headers-Source: http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix/i386/

    Good Luck !

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCyberDude

    Also I would suggest using ext3-journal FS for Knoppix, I've read some bad thinks about Resierfs. You dont have to use xfs filesytem,
    even though the Knoppix use's an XFS kernel.



    Good Luck !
    I've read the same things but I have been using reiser for some time now and have never had any problems of course as with anything YMMV.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    101
    Just a little update, I was wrong with 3-Letter for HDD. I used hdg1 instead of hdg.

Similar Threads

  1. All help appreciated
    By sdat1333 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-19-2004, 11:50 PM
  2. Floppy mnt problems
    By doubled157940 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-02-2003, 06:23 AM
  3. floppy boot problems
    By rainco in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-10-2003, 12:05 PM
  4. Floppy problems :(
    By fez in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-19-2003, 07:10 PM
  5. Xawtv - Helpp appreciated
    By Ritchie in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-29-2003, 10:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision T5810 Xeon E5-2690 v4 64GB DDR4 512GB SSD 1TB Quadro K2200 WiFi picture

Dell Precision T5810 Xeon E5-2690 v4 64GB DDR4 512GB SSD 1TB Quadro K2200 WiFi

$799.00



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$374.48



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T7820 Dual Xeon 4214R 48GB RAM 512GB + 1TB Quadro P400 Win 11 picture

Dell Precision T7820 Dual Xeon 4214R 48GB RAM 512GB + 1TB Quadro P400 Win 11

$699.00