-
Junior Member
registered user
Static DNS manual networking
Hi everyone,
I am on a large network and i am having problems finding where i manually enter the static DNS. I am not using DHCP due to new hardware that is conflicting with my DHCP server. I just need to know how i find out my current IP address on the knoppix machine, and also how to put in a static DNS address. Also what are all the other address it wants me to put in?? Is one of them the DNS with a different name..??
Thanks,
P.S i am a newbie to Linux. (I am jsut starting the R&D to make many servers here)
-
Senior Member
registered user
ifconfig eth0 will tell you the current config of eth0 the files you want are in /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/network/interfaces.
Examples:
/etc/network/interfaces
Code:
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.254
/etc/resolv.conf
Code:
search wolf
nameserver 192.168.1.10
nameserver 192.168.1.34
Edit the files to your settings and /etc/init.d/networking restart will restart the network with the new settings, the search in the resolv.conf is not really necessary I've had it working without it. Almost forgot the hostname is in /etc/hostname. All this as root except the ifconfig.
Or if you want to do it quickly netcardconfig as root in a console and say no to the DHCP option you can then configure it manually.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Where would I put the DNS if I do it manually through netcardconfig?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Ok I have the "ifconfig eth0" down and i have the IP, Sub and of course the gateway. BUt when i run ifconfig eth0/etc/networking/interfaces
it tell me no device found.?? why would that be if i can do the infonfig in the first place
-
Junior Member
registered user
OK all i need to know now is where to put my static DNS so that i can run this puppy!
Well at least I think that is all I need
-
Senior Member
registered user
Your dns info goes in /etc/resolv.conf
Check out the following page for networking info in Debian. If you scroll 3/4 the way down the page you will see a list of files relevant to networking in Debian. The site in general is a good intro to Debian:
http://aboutdebian.com/network.htm
Similar Threads
-
By Tek Guy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-25-2005, 09:36 PM
-
By plener in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-23-2004, 11:06 PM
-
By ck76 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-14-2004, 04:23 PM
-
By Wasteed in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-26-2004, 02:11 PM
-
By in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-29-2003, 07:13 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00

Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor
$70.00

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board
$24.99

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable
$75.00

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01
$127.06

vintage internal ISA Dial-Up Modem from the Accura 28.8 series. 5617us
$15.99

NOB VINTAGE Earthlink MailStation Standard 120 - Email Appliance
$29.99