Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: knppix as a winxp ics client

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10

    knppix as a winxp ics client

    I am trying knoppix 3.2 cd on my laptop, and I am using my winxp box's ICS (the ICS worked fine with my laptop running winxp as a ICS client). When I ran netcardconfig on the laptop, a message promted after a few seconds:

    Sending DHCP broadcast from device eth0 Operation failed.
    Failed.

    I then tried to connect the laptop directly to my cable modem. This time, the network is automaticly setup and I can access the internet. So, the problem seems to be between winxp ICS and knoppix. I did some digging in the previous posts and but could not find a solution. Could someone please advise on how to diagnose and fix?

    Thanks much.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    85
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...pip_manual.htm
    This page shows how to setup ICS manually on a win98 computer, but it should be the same setup for linux when you run the netcardconfig.
    Just enter the same IP address info.

    I found this by typing in
    windows ics linux
    into google.

    Hope this helps.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that with netcardconfig, but the two machines still couldn't ping each other.

    I also tried the following (from faqnetwork on setting up static ip):

    "ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.25 netmask 255.255.255.0 up"
    "route" to check the routing table
    "route add 192.168.0.25 eth0"
    "route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0"
    "route add default gw 192.168.0.10 eth0"
    "route add -host 127.0.0.1 lo"

    and I ran sudo /etc/init.d/network restart after these, but the two machine still couldn't ping each other.

    Other suggestions?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    I don't know if it's still there, but in days past in windows you would use the winipcfg command, and then from the drop down select your eth0 interface and see how it is set up for ics. Then do the same for linux.

    HTH

    --rock

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by RockMumbles
    I don't know if it's still there, but in days past in windows you would use the winipcfg command,
    --rock
    IIRC they changed the name to ipconfig.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinswin
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that with netcardconfig, but the two machines still couldn't ping each other.

    I also tried the following (from faqnetwork on setting up static ip):

    "ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.25 netmask 255.255.255.0 up"
    "route" to check the routing table
    "route add 192.168.0.25 eth0"
    "route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0"
    "route add default gw 192.168.0.10 eth0"
    "route add -host 127.0.0.1 lo"

    and I ran sudo /etc/init.d/network restart after these, but the two machine still couldn't ping each other.

    Other suggestions?
    A couple of comments...
    o You probably shouldn't restart the network after manually entering the configuration. I believe the manually entered commands modify the "in-memory" configuration tables and restarting the network will nuke the manual changes.
    o The route table only needs to show 2 entries: the local network (192.168.0.0 and the default gw - it may also show and entry for the loopback interface).
    o Start an ethereal network traffic capture (on the laptop running knoppix) then try ping (after manually configuring).
    o In the commands you've shown: are you sure the default gw is .10? I would have expected .1 (it is .1 in win98 ics). You probably don't need to add .25 with route.

    The fact that you can dhcp via the cable modem and not via ics suggests something else may be the trouble. Is there a hub or switch involved when using ics and is the cabling okay?

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10
    Very helpful comments. Thanks a lot!

    I did set default gw 192.168.0.1 (that command in my last post was copied from an faq, sorry for the confusion).

    I have a hub between the laptop and the winxp box. The winxp box has two netcards, one connecting to the cable modem, the other connecting to the hub. The laptop also connects to the hub to share the internet access. This set up worked when my laptop ran winxp. Would the hub be causing the problem?

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinswin
    Very helpful comments. Thanks a lot!

    I did set default gw 192.168.0.1 (that command in my last post was copied from an faq, sorry for the confusion).

    I have a hub between the laptop and the winxp box. The winxp box has two netcards, one connecting to the cable modem, the other connecting to the hub. The laptop also connects to the hub to share the internet access. This set up worked when my laptop ran winxp. Would the hub be causing the problem?
    Hmmm... if the same h/w setup works when the laptop is booted to XP its not likely that the hub is the problem then. I do suggest running ethereal (K->Internet->Ethereal then Capture|Start) to see what is really happening on the network. windows machines are somewhat "chatty" on the network so you should see occasional packets. Try a ping (to 192.168.0.1) and you should see an ARP broadcast (request), an ARP response and some ICMP Echo Request and Replies.

    One other config item to check is the nameserver. This is specified in /etc/resolv.conf. Assuming that the ics box is also the local nameserver
    Code:
    #echo "nameserver 192.168.0.1" >> /etc/resolv.conf
    should add the entry if its missing.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10
    I have solved the problem! The problem was caused by winxp ics, which doesnot explicitly specify the ip address of the home netcard, 192.168.0.1. In case other people may find it useful, I summarize what I did in the following.

    On the winxp ics server side:
    Right click the home netcard > properties, CHECK "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", then click on properties > check "Use the following IP address" and input 192.168.0.1 as ip, and
    255.255.255.0 as subnet mask, other fields are left blank.

    On the knoppix client side:
    # ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.200 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    # route add default gw 192.168.0.1 eth0
    # echo nameserver 192.168.0.1 >> /etc/resolv.conf

    It then worked on the knoppix machine!

    By default, the winxp ics set the home netcard's ip implicitly, hence, the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" entry was not checked, but a windows client somehow knows it. I could see that after I input explicitly ip address for the home netcard, the knoppix ping immediately got responses.

    A third machine running windows xp can still share the internet access after I made this change.

    My thanks to all people who helped.

Similar Threads

  1. Ad-Hoc between Knoppix and WinXP? Possible?
    By Matrox462 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-07-2005, 03:00 AM
  2. NIS client - YP Client - SOLVED...
    By lor in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 05:24 PM
  3. 3Com Wireless and Knppix v3.3 How to?
    By BigM in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 07:55 AM
  4. 3Com Wireless og Knppix v3.3
    By BigM in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 09:34 AM
  5. dial-up ics with knoppix as host/winxp as client
    By cyKeMatica in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 04:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99



HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5

HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5"x2 Server Blade SEE NOTES

$21.08



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis

$274.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08



AS IS READ DESCRIP. Supermicro SuperServer 6026TT-HIBQRF 12-Bay 4x X8DTT-HIBQF picture

AS IS READ DESCRIP. Supermicro SuperServer 6026TT-HIBQRF 12-Bay 4x X8DTT-HIBQF

$215.00