Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: persistent HOME directory doesn't work!

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16

    persistent HOME directory doesn't work!

    Hi!

    I am heaving trouble with using persistant 'home' option on hd... I do manage to make 50MB image but nothing is stored there (I wanted to save a text file + was configuring mozilla mail and adding bookmarks), but nothing was saved.

    I love using Knoppix and would contribute ideas for it but just hate not heaving a chance to save my mail and notes locally!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262
    Save everything inside your 'home directory'. The persistent home actually is now your home directory. So whenever you logout evrything you do that is in home is saved to the persistent home.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    Also, once you have created the persistant home, before it works, you have to reboot.

    To use it boot with "knoppix home=scan" ( or "knoppix home=/dev/xxx" if scan doesn't work - replace xxx ).

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1
    I want to pipe in here and ask a question regarding the persistent home.

    I just booted into Knoppix today. Started reading the docs and was pleased to hear about the perm home option. Here
    is my situation.

    i have two hard drives. one is ntfs and the other is fat32. I want to use a portion of the fat32 to store my files as /home

    What I am confused about is if I make /dev/hdb1 my /home directory, will I be losing data by doing this? I believe I saw a warning about doing this might not be a good idea.

    I dont have any empty partitions. the fat32 drive is where I store all my data.

    Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Add persistent home directory flexibility
    By JeffBonn in forum Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-30-2005, 06:33 AM
  2. 3.8 persistent home directory
    By ddrex in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-04-2005, 07:52 PM
  3. Persistent home directory
    By Geof in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 03:55 PM
  4. Persistent Home Directory
    By Dooley in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2004, 08:43 PM
  5. Persistent Home Directory Size
    By STD-User in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-28-2003, 07:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M2 8-Core 16GB 512GB SCREEN ISSUE

$774.99



Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$177.21



Dell - XPS 13.4

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...

$599.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF

$435.99



Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151) picture

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151)

$189.99



AMD - Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-CORE 16-THREAD 4.2 GHz (5.0 GHz Max Boost) AM5 UNLOCKED picture

AMD - Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-CORE 16-THREAD 4.2 GHz (5.0 GHz Max Boost) AM5 UNLOCKED

$300.00



Lenovo Thinkpad T590 Gen1 8th Core i7 32GB 512GB Touchscreen RJ45 Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo Thinkpad T590 Gen1 8th Core i7 32GB 512GB Touchscreen RJ45 Win 11 Pro

$339.00



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 8GB 256GB BATTERY ISSUE

$454.99