Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix not able to copy/paste

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix not able to copy/paste

    Hello everyone,

    I've been searching the forums, and I cannot find this topic. I've downloaded the latest version of Knoppix version 7.5, and it's great I do have to say.

    Here's my problem though. I remember from previous versions especially 6.2 when you wanted read/write permissions, you would just right click and untick the option. I can't find that option in the new version.

    I just have eject for a USB and unmount. My 2TB HDD failed on me, so I took it to a repair man, and he said everything is gone. I knew it was there, but it was windows that wasn't recognizing it.

    Therefore, I downloaded the latest version of Knoppix, loaded it up, plugged in my External, and it showed right up with all my files on it. I just get an input/output error on every file I try to move, even the smallest of documents.

    I thought it might be that it's NTSF, and Knoppix prefers FAT32. That doesn't seem to be the case. I can view every file or video with Gnome with no problems. I am just unable to transfer them.

    I apologize if anyone has asked this, and I appreciate the help tremendously in advance. Knoppix is wonderful, and I have watched it evolve over the years. Some people still don't know what it is when I mention it, so I always recommend it. Take care everyone.

    JD
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 02-23-2014 at 12:52 AM. Reason: formatted by mod

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by jdblue23 View Post
    I remember ... when you wanted read/write permissions, you would just right click and untick the option. I can't find that option in the new version.
    Greetings, jd.
    Using pcmanfm file manager it's right-click > folder properties > permissions. But, I don't think this is new.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3
    I will try again, and I know it's something that I'm easily overlooking. Usually it would mount the drives and place them on the desktop. It only shows them within in the "Knopoix" folder on the desktop. My drive may be gone, but I just wish I could know for sure that I have write permissions. As I said, I can view, play my videos and open my documents. I am just not able to copy and paste them to a "healthy" drive. I apologize for the simple solution that I've turned into a complex one. Thank you utu for answering my question so quickly.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3
    I still do not have the option of "Using pcmanfm file manager it's right-click > folder properties > permissions." I even tried it on a several small USB sticks both FAT32 and NTSF along with my internal HDD's. I only have "mount/unmount or eject USB." I downloaded a copy of the complete DVD and the CD version possibly thinking that was the problem. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. It's been so easy to use in the past, and I can't find my older copy or a host of it. I'm not going to give up, but any help would be appreciated. Thank you again for the help and this great community. Take care.

    JD

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    The simple way to copy files is using the filemanager PCManFM (the second icon from left in the panel). In the left part of PCManFM you'll see your 2TB HDD; with right mouse click on it you can try to mount it within Knoppix.

    Open another instance of PCManFM and go to the partition and folder of your target drive where you want to move the files. Now you can "copy" files within the first instance of PCManFM and "insert" them within the second one.

    In earlier versions of Knoppix you could see the external drives on the desktop; now you have to use PCManFM.
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 02-24-2014 at 05:17 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


LOT OF 7 SK hynix 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC RDIMM Server RAM HMA82GR7AFR8N-VK 112GB picture

LOT OF 7 SK hynix 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC RDIMM Server RAM HMA82GR7AFR8N-VK 112GB

$559.99



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM

$184.95



x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM picture

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM

$329.99



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



16GB(2x 8GB) Crucial DDR3L-1600 SODIMM / Lot of 2 8GB / Laptop RAM Memory / A25 picture

16GB(2x 8GB) Crucial DDR3L-1600 SODIMM / Lot of 2 8GB / Laptop RAM Memory / A25

$17.99



Samsung (8X32GB) 256GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-RB2-12 Registered ECC Memory DDR4 picture

Samsung (8X32GB) 256GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-RB2-12 Registered ECC Memory DDR4

$1649.99



HPE 32GB PC4-3200aa ECC 1Rx4 Memory P38519-0A1 P39382-001 HMAA4GR7AJR4N-XN picture

HPE 32GB PC4-3200aa ECC 1Rx4 Memory P38519-0A1 P39382-001 HMAA4GR7AJR4N-XN

$349.99



6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US picture

6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US

$3.95



32GB Kit 4X 8GB DELL PRECISION WORKSTATION T5500 T5600 T7500 T7600 Memory Ram picture

32GB Kit 4X 8GB DELL PRECISION WORKSTATION T5500 T5600 T7500 T7600 Memory Ram

$44.99