Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: kn-backup.sh wont recognise ext2 partition

  1. #1
    Junior Member AussiePete's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    18

    kn-backup.sh wont recognise ext2 partition

    Hi all,
    I've installed knoppix7 to a 16Gb USB memory stick (/dev/sdb1) which I have been using for approx 12 months. Up till now, whenever I make changes to my system I manually backup knoppix-data.img to my HHD, however, I have just discovered kn-backup.sh on http://www.wp-schulz.de/.
    I downloaded sh-backup.sh and installed to /usr/sbin. Using another 16Gb USB memory stick (which incidentally was formatted with knoppix7 on it) I have created a second 8Gb primary partition formatted to ext2 using gparted. When I run "sudo testdisk /list" I get the follow:

    Code:
    Disk /dev/sda - 15 GB / 14 GiB - CHS 14786 64 32
         Partition			Start        End    Size in sectors
     1 * FAT32 LBA                3  60  1 14786  39 32   30274944 [KNOPPIX]
    
    Warning: Bad ending sector (CHS and LBA don't match)
    Disk /dev/sdb - 15 GB / 14 GiB - CHS 14900 64 32
         Partition			Start        End    Size in sectors
     1 * FAT32 LBA                3  60  1  8712  63 32   17836160 [KNOPPIX2]
    
    Bad relative sector.
     2 P Linux                 8713   0  1 14899  63 32   12670976 [Backups]
    I presume the warnings above regarding CHS and LBA is because knoppix formats these disks according to MiB and not cylinder boundaries.
    When I run kn-backup and select "Backup whole persistent memory" I get the following error: "Cannot find any partition to use!"
    I have read all relevant info on http://www.wp-schulz.de/ and can't see where I am going wrong...please help!

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Yes, there is a problem and I'll look for it this night.
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 03-06-2014 at 08:04 PM.

  3. #3
    Junior Member AussiePete's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    18

    The new version of kn-backup.sh works GREAT!

    Hi Werner,
    I just down loaded your newer version of kn-backup.sh and it worked great. I've just done a complete backup and everything seems to have worded. It shrank my whole persistent memory down from 2.4 GiB to about 1GiB. My knoppix-data.img file is 3.8 GiB, so this is great, I''l therefore be using your program for my backups rather than manually copying knoppix-data.img every time I want to backup.
    I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner, I saw your message from yesterday but didn't reply as I was doing some investigations of my own. It appears the memory sticks, which are "Verbatim store 'n go", create a secret partition where it is possible to lock the drive with a password. As a result, when you reformat it locks this secret partition at the very start of the disk so that any new partition starts at approx sector 8000 (4Mb). I've only just discovered this and have down loaded a program from verbatim to delete this locked partition. Hopefully this will allow me to repartition the drives so the CHS structure is neat and tidy, not that it really matters I suppose if it is formatted with logical block access (LBA) enabled.
    Anyway, once again, thank you very much, I'll let you know if I have any other problems. As you probably already know, backing up is the easy part, it's when you need to restore a backup that is the important part!!!
    Kind regards,
    Peter
    Last edited by AussiePete; 03-07-2014 at 01:05 PM.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Hello Peter,

    I hope you'll test also the restore options of the script the next day and you don't find any more errors. I've tested the script over and over but not the last little change within it

    Greetings Werner

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD. picture

IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.

$629.99



Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852 picture

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852

$559.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$200.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$135.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19

IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19" Rack Enclosure No Keys

$549.95