I'm using Knoppix 7.0 from a USB flash drive-originally from CD
Hi,
I am having basic difficulty working with my Knoppix--primarily installing an accounting program. Unfortunately I cannot get Gnucash to open.
I can't get the Synaptic Package Manager to fix a broken package or solve the unmet dependency error when i try to get Gnucash. I kept on getting error in that I needed libc6 and libc6-dev which were not goping to be installed. I saw another post here where the fellow installed all the dependent files somehow. I doubt think I'm that able. When i attempt <sudo apt-get install gnucash> terminal tells me some others need to be done too so try "install -f". Then I get libc6 missingn again.
Next i downloaded a new Gnucash 2.6.2 from SourceForge as a .tar i hope I extracted it correctly with <tar -xvf archivename.tar.bz2> Now I get gnucash-2.6.2 listed when I list directories using <ls -l> I'll try to attach a screenshot.
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ ls -l
total 10812
-rw-r--r-- 1 knoppix knoppix 29991 Feb 14 21:36 Construction fall 07.odt
drwxr-xr-x 2 knoppix knoppix 4096 Mar 3 09:45 Desktop
drwxrwxr-x 13 knoppix knoppix 4096 Mar 2 02:21 gnucash-2.6.2
-rw-r--r-- 1 knoppix knoppix 10811380 Mar 3 21:50 gnucash-2.6.2.tar.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 knoppix knoppix 25333 Feb 14 21:36 Resume steel stud Feb 2010.odt
-rw-r--r-- 1 knoppix knoppix 14491 Feb 12 21:49 science fair-observation.odt
-rw-r--r-- 1 knoppix knoppix 19342 Feb 12 23:20 science fair .odt
-rw-r----- 1 knoppix knoppix 62987 Feb 22 19:02 shelf-counter 2 heights.jpg
-rw-r----- 1 knoppix knoppix 58267 Feb 22 19:07 sketches 1-2-3.jpg
Doesn't this mean gnucash is in the directory "knoppix" or knoppix/knoppix? At the terminal there is "knoppix@microknoppix"--qu'est-ce que c'est?? I'm misunderstanding something fundamental I suspect. I try to <sudo apt-get install gnucash-2.6.2> and I see unable to locatepackage.
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo apt-get install gnucash-2.6.2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package gnucash-2.6.2
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'gnucash-2.6.2'
Now I admit I know little about any of this; I can barely turn the machine off. Do I need to specify the directory or something else? I appreciate the help.
Cam
I'm using Knoppix 7.0 from a USB flash drive-originally from CD
At the Gnucash website you can readWith Knoppix 7.2.0 you can use gnucash V2.4.10-6.Most linux distributions come bundled with a version of GnuCash, though it's not always the most recent version and it may not have been installed by default. Still it is recommended to use the GnuCash version that comes with your distribution.
If you want the new V2.6.2 you have to read "INSTALL" within the source package you've got from Sourgeforce. It's not easy to compile and install a new tool and to solve all the violated dependicies and error messages. It's a job for only very experienced users.
Yes, I read that the accompanying version is best and easiest. I mentioned in my original post that I attempted to use the bundled Gnucash and encountered unmet dependencies and a broken package and an error. I agree with the advice and all. i believe that is what Synaptic Pack Mgr is intended for; however, it no work for me. I shall try again and try to document exactly what arrives.
A Senior member had difficulty with Synaptic Pakage Mgr in the thread "Synaptic Package Manager - kdenlive" May 15, 2013. Dave's errors look like mine re "libc6..." This senior member upgraded to Knoppix 7.2 and states

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99
Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00
Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00
OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$125.00
RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day
$188.24
ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version
$215.25
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00
SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99
Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00