Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: HDD install on old laptop with no cdrom

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kamloops BC Canada
    Posts
    7

    HDD install on old laptop with no cdrom

    I have an older Sharp Actius slimline laptop with a 20 gig hd and no cdrom, I've created the boot floppy, and have the knoppix image sitting in c:/knoppix . The laptop is currently running Winxp (argh) and the hd is formatted as 1 big ntfs drive.

    Can the boot floppy read ntfs? I get a kernel panic when trying to load up.
    Or is there a particular boot string to aim

    Cheers,
    One

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kamloops BC Canada
    Posts
    7

    Solved.. !

    Ok, I figured out an easy way of doing this (and you guys are all thinking ' bout damned time.. nub '

    anyways..

    I booted another pc with the knoppix cd, setup terminal services and dhcp etc on the main pc, plugged in the laptop with a crossover cable..

    grabbed a rom from www.rom-o-matic.net for my realtek 8139 card that is in the laptop booted into knoppix from the remotely mounted cd, dropped into a shell and ran the knx-hdinstall (!)

    here I am online typing away.. kde's all nicely configured just the way I want it

    ---------

    Now i'm just trying to get some sound working, this is the output from lspci -v

    00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1969 Solo-1 Audiodrive (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Sharp Corporation: unknown device 1004
    Flags: medium devsel
    I/O ports at fc40 [disabled] [size=64]
    I/O ports at fca0 [disabled] [size=16]
    I/O ports at fcb0 [disabled] [size=16]
    I/O ports at fce8 [disabled] [size=4]
    I/O ports at fcec [disabled] [size=4]
    Capabilities: [c0] Pwer Management version 1

    Any ideas what to install ?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    You might find this page interesting google search that lead to the page.

Similar Threads

  1. CDrom soundcards etc after HD install
    By chopperman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 04:19 AM
  2. old laptop (Sony) with PCMCIA CDROM - cant install
    By simonmac2 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 07:24 PM
  3. my laptop dosent have a cdrom drive
    By endersshadow001 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 05:29 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-30-2003, 12:21 AM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-01-2003, 08:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple iBook Clamshell Graphite 466MHz 60GB HD 128 Ram OS 9 & 10 picture

Vintage Apple iBook Clamshell Graphite 466MHz 60GB HD 128 Ram OS 9 & 10

$350.00



Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video picture

Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video

$225.00



Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



APPLE IIC A2S4100 VINTAGE PERSONAL COMPUTER UNTESTED AS-IS, NO POWER CABLE picture

APPLE IIC A2S4100 VINTAGE PERSONAL COMPUTER UNTESTED AS-IS, NO POWER CABLE

$149.99



Vintage Apple Macintosh PowerBook Duo 230 With Power Supply Floppy Drive Parts picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh PowerBook Duo 230 With Power Supply Floppy Drive Parts

$100.00



Vintage Apple PowerBook G4 Titanium Laptop 800 MHz 60 GB HD 15

Vintage Apple PowerBook G4 Titanium Laptop 800 MHz 60 GB HD 15" LCD Screen A1001

$79.99



Vintage Apple USB Mouse M4848 Bondi Blue iMac G3 Hockey Puck - Tested Working picture

Vintage Apple USB Mouse M4848 Bondi Blue iMac G3 Hockey Puck - Tested Working

$22.99



Vintage Apple Macintosh Microsoft BASIC Interpreter OEM Sealed NOS ver 1.01 picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Microsoft BASIC Interpreter OEM Sealed NOS ver 1.01

$1399.99



Vintage NOS Apple iBook Two Sided Cloth Banner Think Different picture

Vintage NOS Apple iBook Two Sided Cloth Banner Think Different

$99.99



TESTED Original Apple IIc 2c Power Supply A2M4017 15V 1.2A 18W WORKING Vintage picture

TESTED Original Apple IIc 2c Power Supply A2M4017 15V 1.2A 18W WORKING Vintage

$55.00