Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Introduction and a question

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1

    Introduction and a question

    I am a newcomer to Knoppix, which I found after an Internet search. I was a RedHat user in earlier days (v7 - 9) and more recently had been using Open SUSE, v10 -v13.

    I learned about Knoppix as I was attempting to upgrade to SUSE 13 and kept crashing during the install. In hindsight, the cause was due to the hardware of the machine I was installing on: a repurposed HP with an AMD dual-core processor and on-board NVidia video.

    I obtained a Knoppix .iso and was able to get the machine to load from that. After that success I obtained the DVD .iso and explored that as well. Noting that HD install was possible, I installed to the 500 GB SATA drive.

    All was well until I opted to start the KDE desktop in lieu of the default. Once I selected KDE and rebooted the machine would crash repeatedly with the display garbled.

    More research led me to discover the problem with NVidia drivers; I obtained an ATI Radeon video card and installed it in the PCI Express slot, disabling on-board video. The machine is stable although I may need to address cooling and power supply concerns in the future.

    My reason for wanting a Linux / GNU OS machine was to avail myself of the use of the GCC compliler. I am a programmer and set myself the task to learn C++ and the X Window system.

    So I am posting today to thank all those who contributed to Knoppix 7.2 and to ask where the C libraries are in this installation? Code such as "#include <iostream.h> ..." causes a compiler error. The compiler is installed, but apparently the libraries are in non-standard locations? That's my best guess anyway.

    I did read the caution against installing Knoppix to the HD - belatedly. I suppose if I were to do it again I would start over from a Debian set of discs. My poor DSL connection from home makes that a very daunting download, however.

    Thanks for any guidance on the compiler issue.

    clh333

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Code such as "#include <iostream.h> ..." causes a compiler error.
    Have you already tried "#include <iostream>" instead of "#include <iostream.h>"?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold picture

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold

$121.00



MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$159.99



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Grade A Micron 64GB PC4-3200AA DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF8G72PZ-3G2 LOT picture

Grade A Micron 64GB PC4-3200AA DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF8G72PZ-3G2 LOT

$599.99



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



Used Computer RAM - This Is For Multiple Sticks Of RAM picture

Used Computer RAM - This Is For Multiple Sticks Of RAM

$120.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00