Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Flying Icons in Knoppix?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    20

    Talking

    I've seen this effect too... on other versions of Knoppix as well. It's not so much a problem, it's more of an alarm for "me" to kill the internet, & do a boot-sector anti-rootkit/boot-kit scan immediately...due to the possibility of loosing yet another massive backup drive FULL of files simply because some selfish little kid with toyswants to play around.MOST trojanized softwares today install rootkits/boot-kits executable code directly to the first few bytes of the drive's boot-sector,& when that happens, windows auto-formats the rest of the regular drive due to not understanding what's written there,so assuming it's a blank, or simply has a corrupted boot-sector, & repairs it by formatting, & leaves it appearing blank. I've never seen it happen to my system drives, but always a secondary one.Without my arsenal of forensic HDD recovery softwares, I would be out of luck.So... every time I see it (the flying icon), I damn near get a heart attack! ...That is, until I realize that I'm on Linux, & NOT Windows. If it was Windows, i'd pull the plug from the wall immediately! I have no idea what's causing it though... but I've seen it happen every so often on different versions of Knoppix.It might be an artifact from the graphics card, or maybe the boogie-man... who knows! lmao lol
    Last edited by DTeCH; 05-07-2014 at 09:14 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Coach 5209 Brown Leather BusinessTote Laptop Briefcase Y2K Shoulder Bag picture

Vintage Coach 5209 Brown Leather BusinessTote Laptop Briefcase Y2K Shoulder Bag

$150.00



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$228.19



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Vintage Intel PC Camera Pack USB CICP3 825118 NOS Open Box Complete 2000 picture

Vintage Intel PC Camera Pack USB CICP3 825118 NOS Open Box Complete 2000

$39.99



PowerBook Duo 210 vintage laptop picture

PowerBook Duo 210 vintage laptop

$140.00



Compaq 242506-001 Netelligent 100 FDDI DAS Fiber SC PCI Network Adapter Vintage picture

Compaq 242506-001 Netelligent 100 FDDI DAS Fiber SC PCI Network Adapter Vintage

$249.00



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Quill 386SX-16 16MHz Desktop Computer 80386SX DOS PC Rare QTEC System picture

Vintage Quill 386SX-16 16MHz Desktop Computer 80386SX DOS PC Rare QTEC System

$249.95



vintage Gateway motherboard, socket 370 1ghz cpu, 256mb ram, cables, power switc picture

vintage Gateway motherboard, socket 370 1ghz cpu, 256mb ram, cables, power switc

$62.99



VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED picture

VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED

$500.00