-
Junior Member
Problems when changing "Host" name in Network settings
Hi All,
I have Knoppix7 installed on two computers running on memory sticks. I have been experimenting with different methods of communicating on my local area network between these two machines and a third machine which runs M$ windows.
To cut a long story short, the two computers running Knoppix have the same computer names (host/alias names) which is causing confusion (as per usual) on the Samba shares. When I tried to change one of their host/alias names to Microknoppix1 and knoppix1 in the Network Settings I was unable boot back to the desktop.
I was able change the names back by mounting the knoppix-data.img on the other computer and changing these names back in the files /etc/hosts & /ect/hostname. The computer now boots again!
My question is...how do I change the name of the computer without causing the above problem???
Any thought will be appreciated.
Regards,
Peter
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1694.85

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$427.48

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$288.98

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$441.77

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Acer Aspire 16 16" Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V S2 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Arc Refurbished
$519.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

SanDisk Ultra 3D SSD 1TB, SDSSDH3 2.5" SSD Drive SATA III 6GB/S (SDSSDH3-1T02)
$138.56