Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: chkrootkit scan

  1. #1

    chkrootkit scan

    OK, I think I have attached a text file copy of a chkrootkit scan I did on my Knoppix system computer, and it mentions some suspicious files and I don't know if I shouldn't worry about them, or if they are something, what I would have to do to remove them. So, I am trying to post them here, and I really don't know if the file uploaded or not. It shows in the window when I push the attach file button, but, I don't see any indicator that the file is attached at this time. When I post I guess I will know. So, if anyone can tell me what these "suspicious files" are about and what I should do about them, I would really appreciate it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, E-Tramp.

    FWIW, .NET files come with the monthly security updates from Microsoft if
    you opt to do recommended Windows Updates.
    I presume the .NET material is harmless.
    Since I dont use any of their .NET services, these updates have the
    somewhat the same characteristic as spam in my situation.

  3. #3
    I have to admit I don't get this. Why would there even be .NET files in a Knoppix OS? I don't even know why I would have any files for .NET anything. I certainly haven't installed any .NET on my Knoppix system. Obviously this looks like a directory for a java program in root,usr, but, what does it go to and why? How can I track down what it is doing there?

    The following suspicious files and directories were found:
    /usr/lib/jvm/.java-1.6.0-openjdk-i386.jinfo /usr/lib/mono/xbuild-frameworks/.NETFramework /usr/lib/debug/.build-id /usr/lib/eclipse/p2/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine/.settings /usr/lib/eclipse/p2/org.eclipse.eq

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Tramp View Post
    The following suspicious files and directories were found:
    Leaving out the part that's NOT suspicious...

    Code:
    I've re-formatted the 'suspicious' part of your file in post #1:
    
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# sudo chkrootkit
    Searching for suspicious files and dirs, it may take a while... The following suspicious files and directories were found:  
    /usr/lib/jvm/.java-1.6.0-openjdk-i386.jinfo 
    /usr/lib/mono/xbuild-frameworks/.NETFramework
    /usr/lib/debug/.build-id 
    /usr/lib/eclipse/p2/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine/.settings 
    /usr/lib/eclipse/p2/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine/profileRegistry/PlatformProfile.profile/.data 
    /usr/lib/eclipse/p2/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine/profileRegistry/PlatformProfile.profile/.data/.settings 
    /usr/lib/eclipse/p2/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine/profileRegistry/PlatformProfile.profile/.lock
    /usr/lib/eclipse/dropins/jdt/plugins/org.eclipse.jdt.debug_3.7.1.dist/.api_description 
    /usr/lib/eclipse/dropins/sdk/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build_3.7.0.dist/.api_description 
    /usr/lib/eclipse/dropins/sdk/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build_3.7.0.dist/.options /usr/lib/eclipse/.eclipseproduct
    /usr/lib/eclipse/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/28/1/.cp 
    /usr/lib/eclipse/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/147/1/.cp 
    /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.ui.intro.universal_3.2.500.dist/.api_description 
    /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.ui.intro.universal_3.2.500.dist/.options 
    /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime.compatibility.registry_3.5.0.dist/.api_description 
    /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.ui.workbench.compatibility_3.2.100.dist/.api_description 
    /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.1/.autoreg /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/PyQt4/uic/widget-plugins/.noinit
    /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PyQt4/uic/widget-plugins/.noinit /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/.path 
    /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/.path /usr/lib/icedove/.autoreg /lib/init/rw/.mdadm
    /usr/lib/mono/xbuild-frameworks/.NETFramework 
    /usr/lib/debug/.build-id 
    /usr/lib/eclipse/p2/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine/.settings 
    /usr/lib/eclipse/p2/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine/profileRegistry/PlatformProfile.profile/.data 
    /usr/lib/eclipse/p2/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine/profileRegistry/PlatformProfile.profile/.data/.settings
    /usr/lib/eclipse/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/28/1/.cp
    /usr/lib/eclipse/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/147/1/.cp
    /lib/init/rw/.mdadm
    I don't know what it all means, but .NET is only part of what you've been told is suspicious.
    Everything seems to be in either /usr/lib or /lib.
    Start here, I guess.
    a. what is eclipse, anyway.
    b. what is .mdadm good for
    c. etc...
    Last edited by utu; 03-08-2014 at 03:42 AM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    And then there's this to consider:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1544017

  6. #6
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ apropos eclipse
    eclipse (1) - extensible tool platform and Java IDE

    This is what the system says about eclipse, and it seems to go with the Java .Net platform that as far as I know doesn't exist.

    It would appear that the .mdadm file is part of the RAID software. I don't actually have a RAID drives either, but the motherboard is capable of supporting RAID.

    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ apropos .mdadm
    mdadm.conf (5) - configuration for management of Software RAID with mdadm

    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ apropos python2.7
    python2.7 (1) - an interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programmi...

    Above is all I can get with apropos on Python 2.7.

    Appearantly all of this has something to do with a .Net framework I don't think is even on my system. Lots of questions no answers!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    And then there's this to consider:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1544017
    This is a very good point, but, I still wish I knew why I am looking at .Net entries, as I thought that was a Windows operation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays

$599.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99