-
Compiz
I have a suggestion for the next release. While I whole heartedly endorse the use of Compiz I feel that one change would be beneficial. The exploding effect when closing windows tends to take too long on a significant amount of computers. You might want to consider changing that to an effect that reacts and finishes quicker. It's the first change I make when I create a new LiveUSB stick, but when run from a CD/DVD it's a pain to change it each time and can really bog down a system. I've received quite a number of comments about how sluggish Knoppix seems to new users, and almost all of them end up being about the exploding effect.
Just a thought. I love Knoppix. It's my go to live distro.
-
Senior Member
registered user
.
Greetings, MrNovi.
Everyone has an opinion on Compiz.
Many power buffs use a no3d cheatcode to effectively turn it off.
It may be that there are some features of Compiz which Adriane
users may find useful.
In your case, you can control the parameters of the close animation
with CCSM or Compiz Config Settings Manager:
MainMenu>Preferences>CCSM>Effects>Close Animation>Explode>Duration
assuming that's the effect you make reference-to.
You might urge your friends to look a little more deeply into
Knoppix than just its 3d effects, which are, after all, user-adjustable
to a staggering degree, thanks to CCSM.
-
Duh, I already stated that I change that on LiveUSBs, but that doesn't address the actual issue which is the resource heavy Exploding Windows being selected by default. Experienced users will know how to deal with it, but not new users. If it runs sluggishly they move on to something that runs more responsively.
And it has nothing to do with Compiz in general as that is one of the things that draws new users towards Linux. It's just the Exploding Windows selection ends up as a nuisance rather than something positive, something I would guess the developer doesn't want.
Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 04-24-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Reason: Quarrelsome part of posting deleted
-
You can offer your suggestion to Klaus Knopper at https://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/
Within this Forum KK is a rare visitor.
Please tell him which values for Compiz in which config-files you would propose to change.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368
$22.99

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511
$28.99

Genuine OEM 63Wh 7FMXV Battery For Dell Latitude 5320 7320 7420 7520 4M1JN TN2GY
$32.99

NEW OEM V6W33 Battery For Dell Inspiron 3510 5510 Latitude 3330 3320 Vostro 3515
$22.00

OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17
$45.49

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541
$35.78

Lot of 5 Dell OEM 65W 7.4mm 19.5V 3.34A AC Adapters Mixed Models B Grade
$39.99

OEM Genuine 86Wh 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17
$35.99

Genuine OEM 6GTPY 97Wh Battery for Dell XPS 15 7590, 9550 Series 5XJ28 GPM03 New
$33.50

OEM Genuine 95WH PKWVM C903V Battery 7550 For Dell Precision CR72X 17C06 447VR
$37.40