Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Booting from USB flash in Virtualbox

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4

    Lightbulb Booting from USB flash in Virtualbox

    I have a knoppix USB bootable flash that I can boot PC from it correctly. I want to boot it in VirtualBox.
    So I created a disk by:


    Code:
    VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename mydisk.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sdc
    Then I created a new virtual machine and used mydisk.vmdk as existing disk. When I boot virtual machine, it shows error:
    Code:
        Waiting (USB)...
        Waiting (USB)...
        Waiting (USB)...
        Waiting (USB)...
        Could not mount disk to /mnt-system. Starting debugging shell...
        sh: can't access tty: job control turned off.
        / #

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Sometimes Knoppix has difficulties to find the folder '/mnt/system' immediately if you use an USB-device; therefore it starts to look if there are other devices with this folder. In your case you can influence the start of Knoppix using the cheatcode
    Code:
    knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda1
    Now Knoppix will only search for this folder at '/dev/sda1'.

    You can use Micro-Remastering to have this cheatcode fromhd=/dev/sda1 permanent within your flash disk installation.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4
    My USB doesn't have syslinux.cfg but it has boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg:
    Code:
    DEFAULT knoppix
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime
    TIMEOUT 0
    # TOTALTIMEOUT 0
    # KBDMAP german.kbd
    PROMPT 1
    F1 boot.msg
    F2 f2
    F3 f3
    DISPLAY boot.msg
    LABEL knoppix
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime no3d wheelmouse
    Where should I change? Where should I put fromhd=/dev/sdc1? Should I recreate vmdk from sdc1 instead of sdc?
    VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename mydisk.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sdc

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    My USB doesn't have syslinux.cfg but it has boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg:
    Are you sure you has removed the Knoppix CD/DVD within VirtualBox? Isolinux is the bootloader for CDs.

    I have a knoppix USB bootable flash
    I supposed, you had done a "Flash disk install". Please tell us what kind of Install you really did.

    Your
    Code:
    VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename mydisk.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sdc
    is correct, if the USB device is the 3.rd device within your Host system. Within VirtualBox - the Guest system - the USB device is the 1.st device. Therefore you have to use cheatcode fromhd=/dev/sda1 (not sdc1).

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4

    Exclamation

    I supposed, you had done a "Flash disk install". Please tell us what kind of Install you really did.
    My friend gave me this bootable USB flash. I can boot PC by it but I want to use it in VirtualBox. I don't know how this is created? Can I realize it?

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Connect within VirtualBox your mydisk.vmdk with SATA controller port 0 and let IDE controller port 0 empty (without Knoppix CD/DVD). Can you boot without the cheatcode? If not, try to boot with the cheatcode I've told you in the other posting. What happens?.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4

    Unhappy

    Without cheat code, the same error is shown which I've told you.
    I changed isolinux.cfg to:
    Code:
    DEFAULT knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda1
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime
    TIMEOUT 0
    # TOTALTIMEOUT 0
    # KBDMAP german.kbd
    PROMPT 1
    F1 boot.msg
    F2 f2
    F3 f3
    DISPLAY boot.msg
    LABEL knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda1
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime no3d wheelmouse
    but the same error is shown.

  8. #8
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    There ist something wrong with your friends USB flash if you have "isolinux.cfg". I suggest you create an USB install by yourself following Flash disk install.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99



HDD 3.5

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy

$35.00



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59



Used Seagate SkyHawk AI 12TB 3.5

Used Seagate SkyHawk AI 12TB 3.5" SATA 7200RPM ST12000VE001

$279.00