Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix 7.2 connects to internet with live CD but not USB boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix 7.2 connects to internet with live CD but not USB boot

    When I use the live CD, I am able to connect to my wifi and to the internet. I can surf the net with not problems. When I boot from my USB drive, I can connect to my wifi, but I can not connect to the internet. Every page I try gives me an error message saying the site can not be found. I tried to type in the same DNS servers numbers and domain names that I viewed while using the live CD, but it does not work with the USB boot. Is there something I am missing or need to turn on or connect to a server? Any help will be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3
    I looked at iwconfig and ifconfig and everything seems to be inorder. But when I try to use a web browser, any browser, it does not matter which, I can not connect to the internet. I receive an error message. Does it have something to do with the browsers? Do I need to turn the browsers on? If so, how?

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Knoppix uses the NetworkManager. You can get access to it with right-mouseclick on the icon in the right side of the panel nearby the clock. Try "Edit connections" and check all the values; perhaps you'll find the error.

    Otherwise start PCManFM (in the left side of the panel) => Menu "Tools" => "Open current folder as root"
    Within the new window of PCManFM go to '/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections' and tell us the name and content of the file you'll find there.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3
    I looked at the Network Manager, Edit Connections and checked the values. Everything looks fine, but I'm not sure if I know what I'm looking for.
    The file in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections is called vango and the content is

    [connection]
    id=vango
    uuid=556af77b-ac3d-4902-a323-3eda3f753575
    type=802-11-wireless
    timestamp=1400445262

    [802-11-wireless]
    ssid=vango
    mode=infrastructure
    bssid=00:1E:4A:E4:0A:E0
    mac-address=9C:B7:0D:C6:B9:EC
    seen-bssids=00:1E:4A:E4:0F:60;00:1E:4A:E4:0A:E0;
    security=802-11-wireless-security

    [802-11-wireless-security]
    key-mgmt=wpa-psk
    psk=[removed password]

    [ipv4]
    method=auto

    [ipv6]
    method=auto

    Does this help diagnose the problem? I'm not sure what to look at to find the problem.
    Last edited by Clinton; 05-20-2014 at 10:50 AM. Reason: removed user password

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Please change your WiFi password immediatly; you've made it public. By the way, such passwords are not secure against dictionary attacks.

    The file looks ok for me.

    Try "Edit connections" and check all the values of NetworkManager while you use the Knoppix CD. After this use all the same values in your USB session.

    Right-mouseclick on the NetworkManager-Icon: Network and WLAN is activated?
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 05-19-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$169.99



Apple Mac Pro 5,1 • 8‑Core 2.26GHz • 14GB RAM • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD Dual NVIDIA picture

Apple Mac Pro 5,1 • 8‑Core 2.26GHz • 14GB RAM • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD Dual NVIDIA

$325.00



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

$250.00



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor

$59.99



AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked picture

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked

$79.99



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND

$179.99



Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex picture

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex

$159.99