Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: problem installing knoppix usb

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    An afterthought

    .
    There is no cheatcode 'nostartsound' documented in knoppix-cheatcodes.txt
    included with Knoppix 7.2. There is a cheatcode 'nosound' which I presume
    emulates the non-existence of soundcard detection.

    It occurs to me that my 'alternative' to Werner's solution may just be
    a description of what may in fact be an implemented, valid but undocumented
    'nostartsound' cheatcode. It's certainly possible that Klaus K has already
    addressed the problem but merely not gotten around to documenting its included
    solution.

    The test would be, whether mplayer is still operational with 'nostartsound'
    as a recognized cheatcode.

  2. #12
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Some times ago "klaus2008" did draw my attention to this undocumented cheatcode and I've inserted it within Wiki-Cheatcodes at the end of "More explanations".

    You can find how this works within '/etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig' and '/etc/init.d/knoppix-halt'.

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    Thanks, Werner; I've learned a lot here,

    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    Some times ago "klaus2008" did draw my attention to this undocumented cheatcode and I've inserted it within Wiki-Cheatcodes at the end of "More explanations".

    You can find how this works within '/etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig' and '/etc/init.d/knoppix-halt'.
    My implementation is simpler, works on the same priinciple,
    but only takes one character for start and one for halt.

  4. #14
    as somewhat suggested here http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix-flash-en.html"This program [flash-knoppix] installs all needed Knoppix files onto the FAT-formatted flashdisk, and creates a boot record for it."So I checked my flash disk is FAT32 formatted.I booted off my DVD and plugged in my FAT32 formatted USB stick, and ran $flash-knoppix it showed sda as my hdd, sdb as my USB. I selected sdb, my USB, I hit ENTER, and all it did was return to the $ prompt.

  5. #15
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Which size has your USB stick? For flash disk install of DVD you need at least 8GB.

  6. #16
    My USB stick is advertised as 8GB, Kingston DTSE9 8GBLinux shows it as 7388.49MB

  7. #17
    flash-knoppix lists it as 7388.49MB

  8. #18
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    .. and ran $flash-knoppix it showed sda as my hdd, sdb as my USB. I selected sdb, my USB, I hit ENTER, and all it did was return to the $ prompt.
    And there have been no other messages or questions? If so, did you test the Knoppix DVD with the cheatcode "knoppix testcd"?

  9. #19
    No error or anything just to the $.I haven't tested knoppix testcd yet. I just tried with another usb stick, this one a 16GB.. first flash-knoppix wasn't seeing it when I put it in, took it out, put it in. Then I restarted with it in. And now when I put it in or take it out, flash-knoppix detects when it's in/out, so with it in flash-knoppix listed it and I selected it and pushed ENTER.. And this one gave an error something about getinfo and current directory, but now it's not giving me any error when I try it, and it just returns back to $. So I can't see exactly what that error was. I will do knoppix testcd and i'll jot that error down on paper if I see it again.

  10. #20
    I couldn't reproduce the error message, only the returning to the $ which it did. But, I managed to put knoppix on the USB.I found I was getting the problem of it returning to the $, when I ran flash-knoppix from the ctrl-F2 shell. When I ran it from a terminal shell within the gui, then it worked.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler picture

GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler

$250.00



Dell Precision 3650 Tower Intel LGA 1200 DDR4 Desktop Motherboard NDYHG picture

Dell Precision 3650 Tower Intel LGA 1200 DDR4 Desktop Motherboard NDYHG

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$101.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen picture

MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99