Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix 7.2 connects to internet with live CD but not USB boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix 7.2 connects to internet with live CD but not USB boot

    When I use the live CD, I am able to connect to my wifi and to the internet. I can surf the net with not problems. When I boot from my USB drive, I can connect to my wifi, but I can not connect to the internet. Every page I try gives me an error message saying the site can not be found. I tried to type in the same DNS servers numbers and domain names that I viewed while using the live CD, but it does not work with the USB boot. Is there something I am missing or need to turn on or connect to a server? Any help will be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3
    I looked at iwconfig and ifconfig and everything seems to be inorder. But when I try to use a web browser, any browser, it does not matter which, I can not connect to the internet. I receive an error message. Does it have something to do with the browsers? Do I need to turn the browsers on? If so, how?

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Knoppix uses the NetworkManager. You can get access to it with right-mouseclick on the icon in the right side of the panel nearby the clock. Try "Edit connections" and check all the values; perhaps you'll find the error.

    Otherwise start PCManFM (in the left side of the panel) => Menu "Tools" => "Open current folder as root"
    Within the new window of PCManFM go to '/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections' and tell us the name and content of the file you'll find there.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3
    I looked at the Network Manager, Edit Connections and checked the values. Everything looks fine, but I'm not sure if I know what I'm looking for.
    The file in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections is called vango and the content is

    [connection]
    id=vango
    uuid=556af77b-ac3d-4902-a323-3eda3f753575
    type=802-11-wireless
    timestamp=1400445262

    [802-11-wireless]
    ssid=vango
    mode=infrastructure
    bssid=00:1E:4A:E4:0A:E0
    mac-address=9C:B7:0D:C6:B9:EC
    seen-bssids=00:1E:4A:E4:0F:60;00:1E:4A:E4:0A:E0;
    security=802-11-wireless-security

    [802-11-wireless-security]
    key-mgmt=wpa-psk
    psk=[removed password]

    [ipv4]
    method=auto

    [ipv6]
    method=auto

    Does this help diagnose the problem? I'm not sure what to look at to find the problem.
    Last edited by Clinton; 05-20-2014 at 10:50 AM. Reason: removed user password

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Please change your WiFi password immediatly; you've made it public. By the way, such passwords are not secure against dictionary attacks.

    The file looks ok for me.

    Try "Edit connections" and check all the values of NetworkManager while you use the Knoppix CD. After this use all the same values in your USB session.

    Right-mouseclick on the NetworkManager-Icon: Network and WLAN is activated?
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 05-19-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT picture

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT

$9.99



T-FORCE DELTA α RGB DDR5 16GB (2x8GB) 6000MHz DIMM Desktop Memory Kit picture

T-FORCE DELTA α RGB DDR5 16GB (2x8GB) 6000MHz DIMM Desktop Memory Kit

$225.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



64GB (32GBx2) 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA ECC REG RDIMM HMA84GR7DJR4N-XN picture

64GB (32GBx2) 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA ECC REG RDIMM HMA84GR7DJR4N-XN

$560.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Crucial MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1SG 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V ECC LRDIMM Server Memory picture

Crucial MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1SG 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V ECC LRDIMM Server Memory

$150.00



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM picture

Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM

$74.50