Results 1 to 1 of 1

Thread: difficulty getting the correct time (uk or us)

  1. #1

    difficulty getting the correct time (uk or us)

    Hi

    I am having difficulty getting the hour aspect of the time to be correct.

    Right now for example, if I say ctrl-alt-f2, and run the date command, it says 16:17 EDT

    but google says the current EDT time is 15:17

    I would't mind being able to have the correct US time.

    If I say lang=uk I find it doesn't give me the correct UK time either. It gets close but also 1hr off. The UK is on BST-British Summer Time(that's GMT+1). GMT=UTC.

    My BIOS is currently 20:17 If I start knoppix with lang=uk it (if I recall) says the time is 21:17 BST. As if perhaps it is takeing my BIOSs time assumes(wrongly) that it's GMT when it's not it's BST. It then adds one to that time and calls it BST , resulting in a time it calls BST that is one hour ahead of the correct BST(which is the time set in my BIOS).

    I could put my BIOS to the wrong time, putting it one hour back, then knoppix gets the correct time and rightly labels it BST. But I don't want to give my BIOS the wrong time.

    I know there's a knoppix utc cheatcode but it's not so relevant as at the moment(summer) Britain is on UTC+1.(aka GMT+1 aka BST)

    I tried apt-get install nptdate but it takes a long time to update and shows the wrong time until it has updated. As the GUI loads(if I do ctrl-alt-f2) and perhaps even into the GUI loading up a terminal, I do $date and it has the wrong time. Then I do it again and it gets the right time. But the clock in the bottom right still has the wrong time. I right click the clock and click something like "digital clock settings" and cancel and it causes the clock to update its time. I don't like that. If it's going to have the wrong time for any length of time i'd rather displayed an invalid time like 99:99 i don't like it dsplaying a time that is 1hr off, for any length of time.

    If I could get a correct UK time that'd be good and i'd be interested in a correct US(EDT) time too.

    Thanks
    Last edited by terapin; 05-23-2014 at 08:33 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco Catalyst C9300X-NM-2C 2-Port 40G/100G Multi Gig picture

Cisco Catalyst C9300X-NM-2C 2-Port 40G/100G Multi Gig

$775.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$205.00



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch

$69.99



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Cisco ASR 901 Series A901-12C-FT-D Aggregation Services Router 800-40055-01 picture

Cisco ASR 901 Series A901-12C-FT-D Aggregation Services Router 800-40055-01

$122.40



Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD  Module  10-2945-02  NEW CLAMSHELL picture

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL

$45.50