Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: knoppix64 v7.2 runs Linux 3.9.6-64 but all apps are i386

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1

    knoppix64 v7.2 runs Linux 3.9.6-64 but all apps are i386

    My first post, so please bear with me.

    I've used Knoppix several times over the years, primarily because Windows had died. This time, I haven't been able to recover my data. So, I created a Knoppix 7.2 bootable 4GB USB drive using the Pendrive utility. Later I did the flash-knoppix and made a persistent 16GB flash drive that I use as the only OS with my diskless Acer7560 laptop. All in all, it's pretty cool!

    Ok, I figured out how to set the timezone and fix the clock. I played around and added a few more desktops using apt-get. Since I'm a developer, I used Synaptics to add a few tools: Algol, Cobol, Fortran, NASM, etc. After awhile, I realized that even though I was running Knoppix64 which uses the Linux64 kernal, only the I386 packages were being selected and installed.

    I edited my apt/sources.list file, and added the [arch=amd64] to each deb http stmt - No change. I went to www.SimplyLinux.ch and used their Debian Source List file generator to create a source.list file that only pointed to the amd64 repositories - No change. While going thru all this, I noticed two things: 1) dpkg itself is an i386 app, so it won't install or update or upgrade anything that is NOT i386. And 2) the Synaptics Package Manager ALWAYS says a package is broken when it tries to install an amd64 app.

    Anybody got any ideas on how I can install some amd64 apps to complement the 64-bit kernal?

    Thanx!

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    All within Knoppix is 32 bit version. Only the Knoppix DVD or the rematered CD has also the Knoppix 64bit Kernel, but no 64bit applications at all. You can use the 64bit Kernel option for chroot of 64bit OS installations or in case your computer has 4GB RAM or more.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH. picture

Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH.

$197.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



LG PCS200S Pro:Centric Server Hospitality TV Management System 1U Rackmount picture

LG PCS200S Pro:Centric Server Hospitality TV Management System 1U Rackmount

$350.00