Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Poor Man's Install of Latest Knoppix

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    143
    I'm sorry for the above post. I created it offline with Libre Office and you can see the new lines did not take effect on this forum when I copied and pasted! I then spent time editing it but exceeded 10 minutes in doing so! This 10 minute limit is crass! Another reason why I stopped posting here!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by ICPUG View Post
    A few years ago this forum was a thriving community with many different types of users
    participating from the beginner to the developer. These days the number of new posts is
    much smaller and the responses to user questions are coming from very few people
    – mostly developers. It seems in the process we have lost knowledge from the past.
    I keep seeing the odd post about users having problems installing Knoppix to USB/hard
    drive with persistence. Recently, utu, a quite knowledgeable user, stated the need to
    do a flash install but to hard disk and asked whether it was possible. Those few years
    ago I used to respond regularly to posts pointing out that the 'poor man's' install was
    possible and gave advice on how to do it.

    I can tell utu and others who want to listen that yes, it is still possible and persistence
    is even easier to set up now! I got tired of posting because of arguing about the warnings
    the more knowledgeable users would keep coming up with – notably (a) You should not install
    Knoppix to hard disk and (b) You shouldn't install/write to an NTFS partition. Well friends,
    I've been doing it for years and still have not had a problem. First of all I would
    definitely emphasise that Knoppix is a Live Linux and Klaus Knopper did not intend it to be
    installed as a full Linux install. You can do it but it will ultimately give you problems
    and the advice has always been to use Debian if you want to go this way.

    That being said, Klaus provided all the cheat codes and scripts to do a 'poor man's' install.
    He intends it to be done to flash drive but it can be done to hard drive – you just have to
    set it up yourself! The 'poor man's' install, also called a frugal install, is just like
    running the live DVD only the Knoppix files are loaded from the flash drive/hard drive.
    This has two advantages – it is quicker and it frees up the DVD drive for other disks.

    With a persistence file you have another advantage over the live DVD that any settings
    changes you make are persistent across sessions so once done they will not have to be redone
    every time you boot up Knoppix. A 'poor man's' install does not give you the ability to
    upgrade Knoppix any more than the Live DVD does. You have what Klaus has provided – no more
    – but that is pretty good in my opinion!

    There are three parts to performing a 'poor man's' install. First, the medium which holds
    the install must be capable of booting Knoppix. This shouldn't be a problem if you already
    have a linux installation – you already have a boot loader capable of booting Knoppix.
    I run Knoppix as a 'poor man's' install from a hard disk in a multi-boot environment with
    Windows and Puppy Linux. This means I alter the Windows boot process so that I have the
    choice of Windows or Linux. To do this I use grldr from the Legacy Grub boot loading system.
    It is possible to use Grub 2 but it is too complicated for me! I have written instructions
    for doing this with Windows 9x, Windows XP and Windows 7. You will find the instructions
    starting here:
    http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/lin...00-linnwin.htm
    Please don't ask about Windows 8. Anybody who wants to run Linux should not be buying a
    computer with Windows 8 installed!

    The second part of setting up the 'poor man's install' is to copy 4 or 5 files from the
    Knoppix Live DVD – minirt.gz; linux; linux64; KNOPPIX and KNOPPIX1 if it exists. I have
    these files from the CeBIT 7.3.0 version of Knoppix copied to a directory
    FrugalLinux\knoppix-730 on an NTFS partition (sda5). You should note that any other files
    on this partition will NOT be accessible when running Knoppix – well I haven't found out
    how to do it! I view it as a security measure.

    The third part is to add the instructions for booting this particular Knoppix Linux into
    your boot loader. The instructions linked to earlier give details of these instructions for
    Knoppix 4.0.2 – well this was written in 2006! The idea is exactly the same for 7.3.0 but
    there are slight variations. I use the isolinux.cfg file on the Live DVD as a guide and the
    instructions for loading 32 bit Knoppix on my setup using Legacy Grub are:
    Code:
    title Knoppix 7.3.0 CeBIT DVD from NTFS sda5 
    kernel (hd0,4)/FrugalLinux/knoppix-730/linux knoppix nomce fromhd=/dev/sda5 \
       knoppix_dir=/FrugalLinux/knoppix-730 knoppix_name=KNOPPIX lang=uk libata.force=noncq \
       hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime apm=power-off 
    initrd (hd0,4)/FrugalLinux/knoppix-730/minirt.gz
    boot
    Your setup will probably be different in minor respects – certainly the lang=uk is specific
    to running with a UK keyboard. Any cheatcodes you need follow the kernel specifier on line 2.
    Having done that all you need to do is reboot your PC and choose Knoppix! I find that on the
    first boot I am asked if I want a persistence file and, if so, I can choose its size and
    whether encrypted. This is MUCH easier than the old versions of Knoppix prior to Knoppix 6.

    I'm not sure if I get this because I am doing the install to an NTFS partition. One you have
    set up the boot process once it is very easy to upgrade to a later version of Knoppix when it
    appears. Simply Copy the 4 or 5 files for the new version to your hard drive and amend the
    boot instructions – this usually is just a change of folder name. I tend to run old and new
    versions together at first and then delete the old version when I am happy the new one is OK.
    The process above is just one way of doing a 'poor man's' install. You can copy the iso rather
    than the individual files to your hard drive but then if you are installing to an NTFS
    partition you then have to use Rymbeke's modified minirt.gz file in the boot process. I'm only
    knowledgeable on this specific method of dual booting with Windows.

    The point I am making is that, yes it IS possible to boot from a hard drive and have persistence.
    I just thought it was time to remind the community of this fact.
    Greetings, ICPUG and welcome back to the forum.
    And, thanks for this "Poor Man's Install" treatise. It looks like pure gold to me.
    I've taken the liberty to add some whitespace to make the reading a little easier for
    some senior folks like myself. I hope I haven't poorly chosen some of the breaks,
    or mangled your config file.

    I'll respond to the content in later postings. I'm reasonaby certain this thread of yours
    will be well read and appreciated by many.

    FYI, this forum's editor doesn't like KK's NoScript add-on. One needs to disable it and reload
    IceWeasel to preserve whitespace. I also hate the ten minute limit if that's what it is.
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 05-31-2014 at 07:24 AM. Reason: correction of the link "Lin 'N' Win" and inserted new line in "legacy grub stanza"

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    143
    Thank you, utu, for creating a little whitespace among my words. I was a bit time limited when I uploaded the text so you got to it before I considered what to do about the problem. Your white space is pretty close to the original. Only one point to mention is in the legacy grub stanza. This consists of 4 lines which start with the words:

    title
    kernel
    initrd
    boot

    You had the boot on the same line as the initrd.

    I also thank you for telling me that Iceweasel and noscript was the problem. I'm using Opera as my browser today so perhaps I will have better luck with this!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 32GB RAM No Drives/OS Server picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 32GB RAM No Drives/OS Server

$292.50



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 64GB RAM No Drives/OS Server picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 64GB RAM No Drives/OS Server

$441.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97