-
Senior Member
registered user
Just a couple of comments:
1. Is it too much to ask people to avoid declaring "facts" about things they have not really checked out?
First of all I would definitely emphasise that Knoppix is a Live Linux and Klaus Knopper did not intend it to be installed as a full Linux install. You can do it but it will ultimately give you problems and the advice has always been to use Debian if you want to go this way.
I have said that several times myself in the past, and I don't think it is completely correct anymore. Furthermore, since the time of UNIONFS introduction, the borderline between a "full" Linux installation and a Knoppix Poor Man's Install is rather blurred. For example, I mount and use exactly the same volume with Java development tools in Knoppix as in plain Debian.
2. I think the best practice is to place the booting stuff in a partition that is normally only mounted during booting. That minimizes the chances for corruption, which should not be underestimated. In particular, I can't see how placing everything in a NTFS partition that is administered by Windows can be guaranteed to be completely safe, things may be changed e.g. with a new Service Pack. For example, on the machine I use right now, I run Knoppix off a FAT32 partition /dev/sda1, while booting is on an ext3 partition /dev/sda2 that is not normally mounted, and ordinary storage is on a large ext3 (or ext4) partition /dev/sda5 mounted on /store.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)
$1599.99

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08