Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: cannot do sudo wireshark - Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

  1. #1

    cannot do sudo wireshark - Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

    When I launch wireshark(from k-menu..run, or from the command line) it loads but doesn't list interfaces unless I do sudo wireshark or I suppose if I do su then wireshark. That's fine.
    But sudo wireshark or su<ENTER>wireshark<ENTER> isn't working.

    It worked yesterday but now when I try, I get this error






    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ su root
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# wireshark
    No protocol specified

    (wireshark:4986): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# su knoppix
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo wireshark
    No protocol specified

    (wireshark:503: Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Do not run wireshark as user "root"!
    Read some documentations about wireshark. Your problem isn't a Knoppix problem.

  3. #3
    Thanks. I got it to work since some days back. For the record it was most likely this solution that I used

    http://ask.wireshark.org/questions/7...erfaces-listed
    $ sudo apt-get install wireshark
    $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure wireshark-common
    $ sudo usermod -a -G wireshark $USER
    $ sudo reboot

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU

$45.00



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$101.99



GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler picture

GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler

$250.00



MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen picture

MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen

$59.99