Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Install Knoppix 7.2 and GRUB To Second Drive Only

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2

    Install Knoppix 7.2 and GRUB To Second Drive Only

    I really must be doing something wrong, since Grub is just freaking out, no matter what. What I am trying to do is do an install to HD1 / SDB, VS. HD0 / SDA, so I can go into the BIOS boot, select the second HD (in my case Sata3, if that is important).

    Once I have KNoppix and Grub installed on the HD, I reconnect my Windows HD, boot to the HD that has Knoppix installed, and edit the Grub stuff. the default settings that I change is Root (hd0,1) -> Root (hd1,1), and change the /dev/sda1 -> /dev/sdb1

    then I boot, and I keep getting the "unknown partition type", from the kernel panic, so it goes out to lunch.

    I know when you edit Grub that way it is kind of debug/test setting that do not stick, except for that one time / boot. But those setting should work, when I do a find stage1, it does return the hd1,1

    is there a way to have Knoppix boot to the drive from the BIOS, I want two independent setups that are bootable without Grub being on the "first" hd's mbr.

    Thanks,

    Dave

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2
    OK, i think the install is now happy, and see where I went wrong. I need to keep "root (hd0,1)" rather than changing it to (hd1,1). When i was getting the hd1,1 from "find" it was from the CD boot, which mounts both drives. Once I ran it from the Grub prompt from the HD boot, it came back as 0,1. So it made sense, that the second drive becomes 0, when booting from BIOS.Once I changed the fstab and menu.lst from sda to sdb, the world was happy =).now let's see if everything is happy after the updates.Thanks,Dave

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ picture

Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ

$329.00



RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500 picture

RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500

$50.00



Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On picture

Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On

$100.00



Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000 picture

Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000

$249.00



HighFlyer Amiga 4000 Tower & Bus Extender, Expansion Systems A4000T Kit picture

HighFlyer Amiga 4000 Tower & Bus Extender, Expansion Systems A4000T Kit

$888.50



Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested picture

Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested

$225.00



BlueSCSI v2 Internal 50-pin 3.5

BlueSCSI v2 Internal 50-pin 3.5" SCSI Drive ,Wi-Fi,For Macintosh, Amiga, PC

$52.99



ALS Storage Box with Assorted Amiga Format 3.5

ALS Storage Box with Assorted Amiga Format 3.5" Floppy Disks

$199.00



External fully assembled GreaseWeazle 3.5 inch Floppy Drive picture

External fully assembled GreaseWeazle 3.5 inch Floppy Drive

$135.00