Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Project: Merging Knoppix and Debian Live to get 64 bit Knoppix derivative?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Yes, utu, I think there is little reason to discuss whether the Knoppix init and overall setup is better than current Debian Live. It's miles ahead. And I don't really understand why the Live guys haven't bothered to pick up more tricks from Klaus K.

    That said, I think Klaus K could do a few things differently, too. First and foremost, it is the bloat problem. When it was difficult or impossible to do extensive new installs and changes on a Knoppix system, the package selection was all-important, and should be as broad as possible. But nowadays, good sized permanent storage and easy standard Debian program installs and updates makes customizations and program-wise updates a breeze, so for lots of serious users, the package selection of Debian Live would be a better starting point for customizations.

    There is also a need for "Debianization" of the Knoppix customizations. I think I know why Klaus K hasn't done much of this, but it would surely make Knoppix less of a one-man venture. I also think it would make debugging life quite a lot easier for Klaus K himself.

    With the very smart 32/64 kernel hybrid solution, Knoppix with the 64 bits kernel in several respects behaves as a 64 bit system, so for instance, with 16 GB RAM, I can run a bunch of virtual machines simultaneously. Therefore, pure 64 bits is mostly for specialized use. But today, that may include image processing, like video editing, RAW photo image development etc. Which can greatly benefit from "pure" 64 bits. So I think Klaus K could support 3(4) versions with relatively little extra work. (Which he also surely could get help with):

    1. Pure 32 bit CD. Every now and then. For backwards compatibility etc. Here standard packages may have to be trimmed down to fit.
    2. Debian Live package selection, 32 and 64 bit. <1000 MB ISO image with LXDE. Bare-bones, explicitly with little support to expect. In fact, I think we may adapt the Debian Live tools for this - that's the 'Knoppification' hopefully to come.
    3. The usual 32 bit hybrid DVD version of today.

    I don't think we should talk about "defection" as long as we must go elsewhere to do things not supported in Knoppix. The question is whether we will come back. I surely hope so.
    Last edited by Capricorny; 11-22-2014 at 11:40 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD picture

HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD

$84.99



Dell 6TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Dell 6TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise PowerEdge H

$75.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99