Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Mount Windows Share for File/Filesystem Integrity Monitoring

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2

    Mount Windows Share for File/Filesystem Integrity Monitoring

    Greetings;

    I would like to know if anyone has used Knoppix to mount several filesystems (nfs, CIFS, etc) and perform a file/filesystem integrity check?

    I am looking for a way to monitor mostly windows files and shares for changes to their attributes.
    I would also like to detect new files/directories added, as well as see what was renamed, deleted, copied and/or moved.

    I realize this is alot to achieve, but in looking around at the different types of open source projects, Knoppix seems like the most suitable for this task; and Linux a suitable OS for the job.

    Thanks all in advance,

    -mi

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2
    I should add that I am also looking into using OSSEC.

    -mi

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4
    Hi, I mount NTFS, ext3, ext4 and Fat32 and r/w to/from routinely since I run off a thumbdrive and use the drives on my computers for storage of stuff I don't want encrypted.

    I mount the drives with a simple script, executed from a .desktop file on my menu, that is just pmount commands:

    pmount sdc1
    pmount sda4
    pmount sda8
    pmount sda12
    pmount sr0


    I am running my computers a bare minimum of 2 hours a day, usually 4 or more, and accessing the various hard dtive partitions constantly. The only time I actually boot the OS's on my computers is when I am editing Video or Sound. Graphics I'll edit on Knoppix.

    Keeping up to date on the fsprogs deb packages for the systems you are mounting is probably a good idea. I even have hfsprogs.deb installed in case I try to run Knoppix on a Macintosh someday.

    Regarding integrety, I've been doing this for 3 years with the same two 16G thumdrives across 3 laptops. I am more amazed the thumbdrives still seem problem free.

    There is a reboot-with-fsck-check item on my obmenu

    sudo shutdown -rF now

    I think I have used it on the thumdrives once or twice if memory serves. The various hard drives, about 32 partitions with varying systems, are all fine.

    No idea what OSSEC is.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    No idea what OSSEC is
    Google can help you.
    http://www.ossec.net/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Seagate 3.5

Seagate 3.5" Desktop HDD 3TB SATA III 6Gbps HDD 1ER166-510

$39.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99